EU official says 'Israel' blocked Gaza visit as crisis worsens
EU Commissioner Hadja Lahbib says the Israeli regime denied her entry to Gaza as she warns winter will be disastrous for Palestinians and calls for faster aid access.
-
Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, November 29, 2025. (AP)
European Commissioner for Equality and Acting Commissioner for Crisis Management Hadja Lahbib revealed on Friday that she attempted to enter the Gaza Strip during her visit to Egypt, but the Israeli occupation refused to grant her permission.
Lahbib stressed that Palestinians continue to be killed daily in Gaza, noting that two children lose their lives every day. She said that since the start of the most recent ceasefire, 347 Palestinians, including 67 children, have been killed, underscoring the fragility of the current pause in fighting.
The commissioner said that her goal had been to see the humanitarian situation “firsthand,” but added that “Israel’s” decision to block her entry “deeply saddened us.”
Gaza described as 'a graveyard'
Lahbib condemned the scale of civilian casualties, saying Gaza has effectively become a graveyard for thousands of people, including humanitarian workers. She noted that around 600 aid workers have been killed while trying to deliver lifesaving assistance in “the most dangerous place in the world.”
With winter approaching, Lahbib warned that Palestinians have “no place to go and no means to stay warm,” adding that experts believe the coming months will be “disastrous.”
She reiterated that the ceasefire must hold and that “full compliance with the ceasefire and respect for international law is the only way to protect civilians.”
Calls for faster aid access
Lahbib emphasized the need to advance to the second phase of the phased ceasefire framework, saying Hamas must be disarmed and the remaining captives released. She also said that humanitarian relief remains insufficient and hindered by occupation restrictions.
She urged the Israeli occupation to allow aid organizations to operate freely and accelerate procedures at the border. She criticized the classification of some relief goods, including tents and sleeping bags, as “dual-use” items, saying it is “unacceptable.”
The commissioner also emphasized that the EU has obligations toward its taxpayers and must ensure that the assistance it funds “reaches those who need it.”
Lahbib insisted Gaza must eventually be rebuilt, saying, “We must turn this sea of rubble back into homes and schools.” She expressed gratitude to Egypt for its continued efforts in supporting humanitarian access.
EU funding genocide
While Lahbib aims to highlight the criminality of the Israeli occupation, this comes after a coalition of 24 European and Palestinian organizations and trade unions has released a new report revealing extensive financial links between major European institutions and 104 companies accused of contributing to "Israel’s" war on Gaza.
Titled “The Private Actors behind the Economy of Occupation and Genocide,” the Don’t Buy Into Occupation Coalition (DBIO) report identifies 104 corporations operating across several sectors deemed complicit in the assault on the Gaza Strip.
These include firms tied to the military and security industries, technology, resource extraction, construction, demolition, financial services, and other activities that support "Israel’s" presence in the occupied Palestinian territory, including the eastern part of al-Quds.