Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land
Sheikh Qassem: People of Might Battle was a confrontation by a modest force, incomparable to the enemy's strength, but it was noble in spirit, brimming with courage, resolve, and unwavering faith in victory

Australia's Qantas loses high court case of illegal outsourcing

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: News websites
  • 13 Sep 2023 11:29
3 Min Read

Qantas has lost its high court case over the illegal outsourcing of 1,700 ground handler jobs leading to substantial compensations and calls for collective board resignations.

  • x
  • Largest Australian airline loses high court case to fired workers.
    A line-up of Qantas jets at Sydney´s Kingsford Smith Airport, Australia, August 20, 2023 (AFP)

Australia's largest airline, Qantas, has lost its high court case to overturn a prior ruling in July 2021 that said it has illegally outsourced 1,700 ground hander jobs.

Australia's high court has unanimously upheld a full federal court decision forcing the airline to compensate workers it fired at 10 airports back in November 2020.

Qantas' decision to lay off its staff also happens to be "the largest sacking found to be illegal" in Australia's history, Transport Workers' Union (TWU) National Secretary Micheal Kaine told reporters in Canberra. He added that the Union will look to gain "significant" compensation and penalties against Qantas in federal court.

TWU called on Qantas for a public apology and for its chairperson, Richard Goyder, and the entire board to be replaced by new executives, which would include a worker representative.

Previously, Australia's federal court ruled that Qantas' outsourcing of workers was in violation of the Fair Work Act as the company aimed to bypass industrial action. The ruling was considered a major victory for TWU and workplace relations minister Tony Burke who supported the case.

Just before the high court made its ruling, Kaine said Qantas' actions were driven by its outgoing chief executive Alan Joyce's "spiteful management style."

"Qantas workers have made history today. It has been three years and 20 days since Alan Joyce first announced the decision to outsource these workers, and they have not stopped fighting for a moment to ensure justice was served," Kaine said in response to the court's decision.

"The final act of this board should be to strip Alan Joyce of his bonuses and follow him out the door," the Union leader proclaimed.

Read more: News Corp profits dive 75% as Murdoch-owned firm hints at AI future

Kaine said it is necessary that the airline change its board for its survival, as "the same board that resided over the largest case of illegal sackings in Australian corporate history" cannot be the same board that achieves the necessary reset.

The high court stressed that although Qantas "had sound commercial reasons for the outsourcing decision," the decision was taken "to prevent the affected employees from exercising workplace rights to organize and engage in protected industrial action and to participate in bargaining."

Qantas had claimed that outsourcing was due to financial measures that could save it $100 million annually and reduce future spending.

"As we have said from the beginning, we deeply regret the personal impact the outsourcing decision had on all those affected and we sincerely apologize for that," a statement from Qantas read.

Qantas has faced intense criticism for its handling of flight credits accumulated during the pandemic, leading to a class-action lawsuit. Additionally, there are allegations of flight cancellations aimed at securing slots at major airports, with the competition regulator seeking penalties amounting to $600 million.

McManus and Kaine have called upon the Senate crossbench to support Labor's industrial relations bill aimed at closing loopholes. McManus contends that this bill could potentially prevent layoffs at their root by mandating equal pay for labor-hire entity workers compared to those covered by workplace pay agreements.

Read more: Chevron workers upcoming puts major production pipeline at risk

  • Qantas
  • Transport Workers' Union
  • Micheal Kaine
  • Australia

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
A boy tries to stand near missiles displayed in the National Aerospace Park of the Revolutionary Guard, just outside Tehran, Iran, Thursday, Nov. 13, 2025 (AP)

Key Israeli sites destroyed, nuclear docs moved to Tehran: Minister

  • Politics
  • 22 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
National Guard are seen after reports of two National Guard soldiers shot near the White House in Washington, Wednesday, November 26, 2025. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
Politics

NG shooting suspect belonged to CIA 'Zero Units' in Afghanistan

This satellite image taken by Airbus DS shows objects on the ground at the Saudi Maternity Hospital in el-Fasher, Sudan (AP)
Politics

Inside the RSF’s brutal campaign against El Fasher’s healthcare

Lebanon urges UN action as 'Israel' builds new walls inside its border
Politics

Lebanon files UN complaint over Israeli concrete walls inside border

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation
Politics

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS