Italy extends red weather alert due to rainfall and deadly floods
Large quantities of rainfall continue to cause floods and a total of 305 landslides in the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy resulting in a death toll of 14.
Upwards of 36,000 people have been displaced due to massive floods that hit the northeastern region of Italy, according to regional authorities.
The Emilia-Romagna region was hit with large quantities of rainfall, which have been estimated to amount to 6 months' worth of rain in less than 36 hours and caused floods that are said to be the worst to hit Italy in 100 years.
Floods that killed at least 14 people so far were followed by landslides that covered entire hamlets in the area.
Authorities extended the red weather alert on Sunday as the rain continued to ravage the region.
Due to the severity of the situation, Italian Prime Minister, Giorgia Meloni, rushed back to her country from the G7 summit in Japan telling reporters, "Frankly I cannot remain so far from Italy in such a complex moment."
Ravenna's authorities ordered the evacuation of several hamlets in the region in an attempt to divert the effects of possible landslides and floods from residents.
As Italy seeks to recover from the devastating events, a helicopter crashed near Lugo as it attempted to restore power in the area, which injured one person on board, the fire service stated.
Since the first two floods took place in early May, 305 landslides ensued, damaging or closing more than 500 roads in the affected areas.
"The water began to rise at 2:00 pm (on Friday), coming from across the fields," Mauro Lodola, an electrician described the flooding process to AFP.
"It’s difficult. I want it to be over quickly, to be able to go forwards … to pick ourselves up," the resident said as he stood in murky water encircling his home.
Matteo Lepore, Bologna’s Mayor, underlined on Saturday that it would take "months, and in some places maybe years" to restore damaged infrastructure and roads.