Death toll nears 400 following flash floods in DR Congo
This comes after heavy rains triggered flash floods across the Kalehe region, east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, which left many villages fully submerged in water.
Thomas Bakenga, the administrator of Kalehe territory in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, stated that the death toll has risen to reach 394 people following floods and landslides.
"We now have more than 390 bodies recovered," Kalehe told AFP on Sunday, adding that "since Thursday we've been finding bodies every minute, and we are burying them."
About 142 remains were found at Bushushu and 132 at Nyamukubi, while 120 were found floating on Lake Kivu around Idjwi, an island in the middle of the large volcanic lake the official noted.
When heavy rains caused river overflow, floods devastated a number of fields, washed away multiple houses, and submerged entire villages, the official explained.
Earlier on Saturday, UN Chief Antonio Guterres offered his condolences to the victims of the "catastrophic floods" in both African countries.
"This is yet another illustration of accelerating climate change and its disastrous impact on countries that have done nothing to contribute to global warming," he said during a visit to Burundi.
Read more: African climate crisis should be 'supreme concern' to world: Report