Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al-Houthi: The Israeli enemy's record is one of terrible and horrific crimes, full of bloodshed against the Palestinian people and people in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, and Iran.
Al-Houthi: The crime of targeting ministers and civilian workers adds to the Israeli enemy's criminal record in the region.
Al-Houthi: All of the martyrs were ministers working in civilian fields.
Sayyed Abdul Malik al-Houthi: We extend our sincerest condolences to all the martyrs' families, their loved ones, their colleagues, and our dear people.
Al Mayadeen's correspondent: An Israeli drone targeted a residential apartment in the al-Natour Square in the Sheikh Radwan neighborhood of Gaza City
Israeli media, citing the occupation army: We tried to "eliminate" Hamas spokesperson Abu Obeida
Al-Mashat: I call on everyone worldwide to avoid dealing with any assets of the entity, and there is still an opportunity for settlers to return to their countries
Al-Mashat: A final warning to all companies in the occupation entity to leave before it’s too late
The Israeli occupation army carries out a deadly airstrike on a populated residential building in the densely populated al-Rimal neighborhood, west of Gaza City, resulting in dozens of fatalities and injuries: Al Mayadeen's correspondent
Al-Mashat: We say to Gaza, we stand firm regarding our stance, no matter the sacrifices

Donors pledge €7bln as quake aid for Turkey, Syria, fall vastly short

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 20 Mar 2023 21:16
  • 1 Shares
3 Min Read

Aid groups urge donors to step up their commitment after the United Nations complained about the poor response that nations had for the urgent funding. 

  • x
  • People walk past rubble of damaged buildings, in the aftermath of the earthquake, in Aleppo, Syria February 7, 2023. (Reuters)
    People walk past the rubble of damaged buildings in the aftermath of the earthquake, in Aleppo, Syria February 7, 2023. (Reuters)

Donors pledged seven billion euros on Monday to aid Turkey and Syria recover from last month's devastating 7.8-magnitude earthquake, although Ankara set the bill for reconstruction at well over 10 times that figure.

A conference hosted in the EU was arranged to generate funds six weeks after the earthquake struck, killing 55,000 people across Turkey and Syria. 

Turkish President Recap Tayyip Erdogan informed those gathered in Brussels in the meeting that the damage in his country was estimated to be almost 96 billion euros. 

"Regardless of its economic standing, it is impossible for any country to fight a disaster of this scale on its own," he said via video link from Turkey.

The "recovery costs" set by the United Nations to Syria was $14.8 billion.

The seven-billion-euro pledge sent "one main message, that the people affected are not alone," said the European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, despite falling short of any expected amount.

"The needs of the survivors are still massive and must be tackled with urgency," she said. 

Read next: UN slams delays in aid for Syria quake victims

Related News

Turkey commemorates 1st anniversary of devastating earthquake

US, UK donating trash clothing for Turkey-Syria earthquake victims

European Commission President started the fundraising by pledging one billion euros for the reconstruction of affected sites in Turkey and sending humanitarian aid to Syria worth 108 million euros.

The aftershocks of the earthquake added to the misery of Turkey and Syria, which contributed to displacing millions and leveling cities. 

As a result, aid groups urged donors to step up their commitment after the United Nations complained about the nations' poor response to the urgent funding needed.

Achim Steiner, a senior official at the United Nations Development Program, called the pledges a "major step forward."

"It is very welcome, but in terms of the overall recovery and reconstruction we still have a long way to go," he told AFP.

Syria denounced the conference

Although the conference was meant for sending aid to both Syria and Turkey, the Syrian administration was not even invited to the event. 

The Foreign Ministry in Damascus said it "deplores" the conference which took place in Brussels as it did not involve Syrian authorities. 

It is noteworthy that rescue groups rushed to Turkey while ignoring sanctioned Syria's call for help. Humanitarian organizations faced major hurdles attempting to reach stricken areas in northern Syria, as militants prevented the entry of any convoys.

It is also noteworthy that Syria's ally, Russia, was also not invited to the meeting in Brussels.

Read next: Western selective humanitarianism, Syria earthquake falls on deaf ears

  • Turkey-Syria Earthquake
  • donors
  • quake aid

Most Read

Fierce resistance ambushes target IOF in Gaza Strip

Fierce resistance ambushes target IOF in al-Zaytoun, Gaza City

  • Politics
  • 30 Aug 2025
Tom Barrack's imperial tantrum in Beirut: When entitlement speaks (Photo by Mahdi Rtail)

Tom Barrack's imperial tantrum in Beirut: When entitlement speaks

  • Politics
  • 26 Aug 2025
Although it does seem likely they will launch some kind of operation in northern Gaza, one which will accelerate its mass murder of civilians, but will fail to achieve its stated objectives. (Al Mayadeen English; Illustrated by Batoul Chamas)

Here is why the Israeli occupation of Gaza won’t work

  • Opinion
  • 26 Aug 2025
A scene showing an al-Qassam Brigades fighter during an ambush on July 7, 2025, in a video released by the al-Qassam Brigades on August 26, 2025 (al-Qassam Brigades Military Media)

Al-Qassam reveals Beit Hanoun ambush targeting Israeli forces

  • Politics
  • 26 Aug 2025

Coverage

All
The Ummah's Martyrs

Read Next

All
Indonesia president says some protests 'leaning towards treason'
Politics

Indonesia president says some protests 'leaning towards treason'

Photo from the United 4 Gaza protest in Frankfurt Germany on August 30, 2025 (@theLeanderthal on X)
Politics

Over 10,000 join pro-Palestine protest in Frankfurt, Germany

NATO became tool of US expansion: US economist
US & Canada

NATO became tool of US expansion, says US economist

An Israeli soldier walks on a road following a military raid in the West Bank village of Al-Mughayyir, on August 24, 2025. (AP Photo/Majdi Mohammed)
Politics

New illegal Israeli settlement established near al-Khalil

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS