1,380+ civilians killed in Syria amid ongoing field executions
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says although the violence has since subsided, the death toll continues to rise as more bodies are being discovered, many in farmland and private residences.
-
Security forces loyal to the interim Syrian government stand guard at a checkpoint previously held by supporters of deposed president Bashar al-Assad in the town of Hmeimim in the coastal province of Latakia, on March 11, 2025. (AFP)
At least 1,383 civilians, the vast majority of whom are Alawites, have been killed in a surge of violence along Syria’s Mediterranean coast, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported on Wednesday.
According to the Britain-based war monitor, the civilians were executed by security forces and allied groups following an outbreak of violence last week along Syria's coast.
Although the violence has since subsided, the death toll continues to rise as more bodies are being discovered, many in farmland and private residences, the Observatory noted.
Syria's Civil Defense said specialized teams retrieved on Tuesday the bodies of 26 people, nine from the city of Baniyas and 17 from the Latakia countryside.
The latest killings were recorded in the coastal provinces of Latakia and Tartus, as well as in the neighboring central province of Hama.
The Observatory accused security forces and their allied groups of carrying out "field executions, forced displacement and burning of homes, with no legal deterrent."
The violence erupted last Thursday when clashes broke out between security forces and militants affiliated with the regime of ousted President Bashar al-Assad.
At least 231 security personnel were reported killed in the clashes, according to official figures, while the observatory estimated that 250 militants were also killed.
The UN Human Rights Office stated that it had documented "summary executions" that appeared "to have been carried out on a sectarian basis."
Syria's Interim President Ahmad al-Sharaa, who leads the Islamist group Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) that led the offensive that ousted al-Assad, has pledged to prosecute those responsible for "the bloodshed of civilians" and has established a fact-finding committee.
The committee’s spokesperson, Yasser al-Farhan, affirmed Syria’s commitment to "prevent unlawful revenge and guarantee that there is no impunity."
Authorities have since announced the arrest of at least seven individuals on suspicion of committing "violations" against civilians.
'The land is soaked in blood'
Residents of villages in the Baniyas countryside are enduring dire conditions as violence and displacement continue to grip the region.
One eyewitness, a mother of four, described the severe deprivation her family is facing due to the ongoing siege, stating, "I have nothing to offer them but water and bread."
The accounts from those trapped in the area paint a grim picture of daily suffering. "Every day, we endure looting and killings, waking and sleeping to the sound of massacres," said another resident.
Others have called for urgent international intervention, pleading for the protection of the Syrian Alawite community and the opening of asylum pathways. "The land is soaked in blood—open the borders for us so we can leave and abandon everything to you," one witness implored.
The brutality of the violence has left many in fear for their lives. "They kill the children first to break their parents’ hearts," an eyewitness recounted.
As night falls, the terror intensifies. "Every time night falls, terror takes hold of us as we await execution in our homes," another resident said.
The deteriorating security situation has forced many to flee into the wilderness. "We have been living in the wilderness for four days, and some have died from the cold in the open," one witness reported.
Despite the ongoing violence, the perpetrators remain active in the region. "The faction responsible for the atrocities is still present in coastal villages, while residents remain scattered in the forests," an eyewitness from Baniyas stated.
The aftermath of the bloodshed is evident in the devastated streets. "The streets were filled with bodies before they were buried in mass graves," another witness said.
Amid the chaos, some residents question why they are being targeted. "Why are we being punished for the previous regime when we have no connection to it?" one resident asked.
Others described the attackers who stormed the al-Qusour neighborhood, noting their masked faces, sectarian chants, and foreign features.
The ongoing violence has triggered mass displacement, with many seeking refuge across the border. Al Mayadeen’s camera has documented the movement of displaced people from Syria into the Akkar villages of northern Lebanon following the bloodshed along the Syrian coast.
Read more: UN staff in Syria relocated amid escalation of clashes on Syrian coast