Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

13 EU countries 'completely or partially' cut off from Russian gas

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 1 Sep 2022 13:50
3 Min Read

Due to the temporary closure of Nord Stream 1, a total of 13 EU countries are "completely or partially" cut off from Russian gas.

  • x
  • 13 EU countries 'completely or partially' cut off from Russian gas.
    13 EU countries 'completely or partially' cut off from Russian gas.

Thirteen EU nations have either ceased getting Russian gas entirely or are only receiving a portion of it due to the temporary blockage of the Nord Stream pipeline 1, according to Russia's state-run Tass news agency.

"13 EU states are completely or partially cut off from Russian gas," the news agency reported citing a senior official from the Directorate General of the European Commission for Energy as saying on Thursday.

"As you know, Nord Stream 1 has been closed for maintenance since yesterday, that is, there are no Russian gas supplies to Germany and neighboring EU countries," the official said.

The Russian national energy company Gazprom revealed on Wednesday that Nord Stream 1 would be temporarily stopped for repairs from August 31 to September 3.

Read next: Venezuela stops oil shipments to Europe

Gazprom, which cut the supply through the 1,224-kilometre pipeline to 40% of capacity in June and 20% in July, said the "only gas compressor unit" that was currently in operation had to undergo technical maintenance.

"Upon the completion of the maintenance operations, provided that no malfunctions are identified, the gas transmission will be resumed at the rate of 33 million cubic meters per day," the company said last month.

Officials stated on Wednesday that Germany, the biggest recipient of gas supplies via the pipeline, is prepared for the disruption.

"I assume that we will be able to cope with it," Klaus Mueller, president of the German network regulator told Reuters. "I trust that Russia will return to at least 20 percent from Saturday, but no one can really say."

Read next: Kremlin: European sanctions led to suspension of Nord Stream

Gazprom announced on Wednesday that it will suspend gas shipments to French energy giant Engie due to payment concerns, raising the prospect of a wider supply shortfall. However, France is less vulnerable to the rise in gas prices caused by Russia's decision to curtail deliveries to Europe following draconian sanctions on the country after its special military operation in Ukraine.

Italy and Germany are now the two largest European countries most exposed to a gas supply shock due to their extensive use of natural gas and significant reliance on Russia, according to S&P Global Ratings.

About 60% of Germany's natural gas supply was piped in from Russia in 2020, primarily under long-term contracts.

The Ukraine war has led to an energy crisis across Europe, with August emerging as the most month with surging prices on record for power tariffs in the bloc, Rystad Energy said this week.

Italy was the first market to record a monthly spot price above €500 ($500.15) per megawatt hour, with the average for August rising to €547 per MWh, followed by France at €492 per MWh, Germany at €465 per MWh, and the United Kingdom at €438 per MWh.

  • Europe
  • Russia
  • Germany
  • gas
  • Sanctions on Russia
  • France
  • Gazprom
  • Russian Gas
  • United Kingdom

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS