Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land

Araghchi says Iran sent its response to Trump’s letter via Oman: IRNA

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 27 Mar 2025 23:59
3 Min Read

Iran has sent its response to Trump’s letter via Oman, FM Araghchi said, reiterating that Tehran will only engage in indirect talks under US "maximum pressure".

Listen
  • x
  • Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks in a joint press conference with his Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov, in Tehran, Iran, on February 25, 2025. (AP Photo)
    Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks in a joint press conference with his Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov, in Tehran, Iran, on February 25, 2025. (AP Photo)

Iran has conveyed its response to a letter from US President Donald Trump through Oman, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi announced.

Speaking to IRNA on Thursday, Araghchi confirmed that Iran’s official reply had been delivered via the appropriate diplomatic channel.

“The official response comprises a letter wherein our viewpoints regarding the status quo and Mr. Trump’s letter have been fully laid out and relayed to the other side,” he indicated.

Trump had initially sent his letter to Iran on March 12 via the United Arab Emirates (UAE). While the content of the letter has not been officially disclosed, the US president has indicated that he proposed opening negotiations for a new nuclear agreement. Trump unilaterally withdrew the United States from a previous deal with Iran in 2018.

Araghchi reiterated on Thursday that Iran remains open to indirect negotiations but will not engage in direct talks while subjected to the US' "maximum pressure" policy and military threats.

“Indirect negotiations, though, can continue, as they existed in the past,” he added.

'More of a threat than an offer'

Last week, Araghchi said Trump's letter was "actually more of a threat" than an offer.

Trump's letter reportedly set a two-month deadline for Iran to agree to a new nuclear deal or face potential military action.

Speaking to Iranian state television, the Iranian Foreign Minister noted that while the letter appeared to present opportunities, its tone was ultimately threatening.

He emphasized that Iran’s refusal to engage in direct talks with the US is a tactical decision rather than a strategic stance.

He noted that ongoing discussions between Iran and the three European countries—France, Germany, and Britain—effectively serve as indirect negotiations with the United States.  

“In circumstances where there is ‘maximum pressure,’ no one in their sound mind would enter into direct talks,” the top Iranian diplomat said at the time.

“The format of negotiations is always relevant in diplomatic relations… For now, our tactic and method is to have indirect negotiations.”

On February 4, Trump signed a presidential memorandum reinstating the "maximum pressure" policy on Iran, despite his claims of willingness to engage diplomatically with Tehran.

Meanwhile, the Leader of the Islamic Revolution and the Islamic Republic of Iran, Sayyed Ali Khamenei, has ruled out negotiations with the United States, asserting that Iran does not trust Washington to honor any commitments.

Read more: IAEA could hold talks with Iran amid Trump deadline: Report

  • United States
  • Tehran
  • US
  • Donald Trump
  • Abbas Araghchi
  • Iran

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS