Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Japan, India reject Biden's xenophobia accusations

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 4 May 2024 07:55
  • 4 Shares
3 Min Read

The Japanese government says it was "unfortunate" that the US President made comments that were not based "on an accurate understanding" of the country's policy.

  • x
  • Biden Japan
    President Joe Biden speaks at the Wilmington Convention Center, Thursday, May 2, 2024, in Wilmington, N.C., as he announces his administration is providing states an additional $3 billion to replace lead pipes across the country. (AP/Alex Brandon)

Japan responded Saturday to US President Joe Biden's comments about the Asian ally being "xenophobic", calling the depiction "unfortunate" and misguided.

At a recent campaign event on Wednesday, Biden claimed the four economic powers, Japan, India, China, and Russia, were struggling because of their unwillingness to accept immigrants.

"Why is China stalling so badly economically? Why is Japan in trouble? Why is Russia in trouble? And India? Because they're xenophobic. They don't want immigrants," he said.

"One of the reasons why our economy is growing is because of you and many others. Why? Because we welcome immigrants," the President added.

Tokyo on Saturday said it was "unfortunate that comments not based on an accurate understanding of Japan's policy were made," according to a government statement.

The Japanese government had already delivered this message to the White House and explained once again about its policies and stances, the statement indicated.

Biden's remarks soon prompted the White House to explain them, with National Security Council spokesman John Kirby telling reporters that the President was merely trying to send a broader message that "the United States is a nation of immigrants." 

"It's in our DNA," he said.

"We're aware of the US government's explanation that the comments in question weren't made for the purpose of harming the importance and perpetuity of the Japan-US relationships", Tokyo mentioned in its statement.

Similarly, New Delhi reacted to Biden's comments, rejecting the US President's allegations of xenophobia and defending its economy and "open" society.

India's External Affairs Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar stressed that Indian society has been "very open in the history of the world."

"First of all, our economy is not faltering…India is always… India has been a very unique country… I would say actually, in the history of the world, that it's been a society which has been very open… different people from different societies come to India." he indicated.

Jaishankar also mentioned that the country's Citizenship Amendment Act aims "to open up doors for people who are in trouble… I think we should be open to people who have the need to come to India, who have a claim to come to India."

Read more: US, Japan discuss plan to build high-speed rails in Texas

  • United States
  • Japan
  • Xenophobia
  • India
  • US
  • Tokyo
  • Joe Biden
  • New Delhi

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS