Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Biden warns of possible Russian cyberattacks in response to sanctions

  • By Al Mayadeen Net
  • Source: Agencies
  • 22 Mar 2022 09:30
3 Min Read

US President Biden urges US businesses to increase defenses against possible Russian cyberattacks.

  • x
  • The most critical infrastructure in the US is operated and owned by private companies
    The most critical infrastructure in the US is operated and owned by private companies

US President Joe Biden on Monday warned US companies of intelligence that suggests a Russian "cyber threat", urging US businesses to "immediately" prepare defenses.

"If you have not already done so, I urge our private sector partners to harden your cyber defenses immediately," he said in a statement.

Biden said there is "evolving intelligence" that the Russian government is pondering conducting cyberattacks against the US in response to the wave of Western sanctions slammed at Russia over the crisis in Ukraine. 

Deputy National Security Advisor for Cyber and Emerging Technology Anne Neuberger said in a briefing with reporters that despite the US president's warning "there is no certainty that there will be a cyber incident on critical infrastructure."

She also added that despite government efforts to strengthen its aid in the cybersecurity field, there is still a lot more the government has to do in order for it to have the confidence that it has locked its digital doors.

Biden said the US government will use "every tool" to respond to Russia's cyberattacks, adding that most critical infrastructure in the US is owned and operated by private entities, meaning that the states cannot force them to take certain measures in cybersecurity.

He urged them, however, to "accelerate efforts to lock their digital doors."

This comes at a time Russia has been subjected to a number of cyberattacks targeting different facilities. Last week, the website of the Russian foreign ministry is under DDoS attacks around the clock, Russian Foreign Ministry Spokesperson said.

"The [ministry's] website, like the websites of other government agencies, has been under DDoS attacks around the clock for these couple of weeks," Zakharova told the Solovyov Live show on YouTube.

Earlier, the National Computer Network Emergency Response Technical Team/Coordination Center of China has reported several cyberattacks since late February.

The breaches all came from abroad the Republic and coincide with the Russian military operation in Ukraine.

Xinhua reported that most of the attacks came from the US to control Chinese computers and utilize them against Russia, Belarus, and Ukraine.

87% of the attacks were to be used against Russia.

At the end of February, the website of the Russian space agency Roscosmos has been subjected to a massive DDoS attack carried out from various IP addresses, after the Anonymous hacker group's declaration of a cyberwar against Russia, the agency's press service said.

"A massive DDoS attack from various IP addresses is being carried out on the website of Roscosmos. It is currently not available for visiting," a representative of the space agency told reporters.

According to NBC, Biden’s administration had been considering interrupting internet connectivity across Russia, turning off the country's electrical power, and messing with train switches to obstruct Moscow's ability to replenish its military, as per their claims.

  • Cyber Attack
  • Cybersecurity
  • cyberattack
  • Russia
  • United States
  • US

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS