Burhan: Army to withdraw from political talks, technocrat gov't onset
After a new government is formed, the sovereign council will be dissolved.
The Head of the Sudanese Sovereign Council, General Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, said the army will be withdrawing from ongoing political talks and allow political and revolutionary groups to form a government of technocrats to lead the transition.
His sovereign council will be dissolved after the new government is formed, said Burhan.
The decision was taken "to make room for political and revolutionary forces and other national factions" to form a civilian government, he said, months after the October coup ousted civilians from a transitional administration.
"The armed forces will not stand in the way" of democratic transition, Burhan said in his address, affirming the military's commitment to working towards "elections in which the Sudanese people choose who will govern them."
Sudan has been grappling with political turmoil since October 25, 2021. Toward the end of June, four Sudanese demonstrators were killed after being shot in the chest with a live round in the city of Omdurman as per the Central Committee of Sudan Doctors (CCSD).
On October 25 last year, Al-Burhan spearheaded a military coup that halted a collaboration between the army and civilian parties that was supposed to lead to democratic elections, igniting months of protests and international condemnation.
Anti-coup protests have been mounting in the capital, Khartoum, for the fifth day in a row. Protesters took to the streets to demand civil rule and an end to the military coup executed by the army last year.