Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land

Canada to open investigation into police handling of Senegal diplomat

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 7 Aug 2022 11:08
  • 1 Shares
3 Min Read

Senegal's Foreign Ministry summons the Canadian Embassy Chargé d'Affaires to denounce and condemn Canadian police acts against a Senegalese diplomat.

  • x
  • Canada to open investigation into police handling of Senegal diplomat
    Senegal's Foreign Ministry summoned the Canadian embassy's charge d'affaires

Canada announced Saturday it will open an investigation into police conduct after Senegal lodged a formal complaint that one of its diplomats in Ottawa was handcuffed and "savagely beaten" in a recent incident.

Senegal's Foreign Ministry summoned the Canadian Embassy's Chargé d'Affaires this week, accusing Canadian police of having "raided" the diplomat's home and exercised "humiliating physical and moral violence, in front of witnesses."

The Ministry confirmed it had summoned the Canadian representative to "vigorously denounce and strongly condemn the racist and barbaric act."

The identity of the diplomat has not been disclosed.

Late Saturday, the government of Quebec, the province where the incident occurred, announced that the police watchdog Bureau of Independent Investigations (BEI) was opening a probe following a federal report that the "First Counselor of the Embassy of Senegal in Canada" was the subject of "a police intervention that raises questions."

Police claimed the woman did not complain of any injury

A response issued late Friday by the police department of Gatineau, an Ottawa suburb, described a different scene, claiming that the woman had violently attacked two police officers. 

The police said they had been called on Tuesday when a bailiff encountered problems while executing a court order -- which was not described.

They said police determined the court order was valid and that the official who issued it had been told of the person's diplomatic status. The bailiff then proceeded to carry out his order, the police said.

The police department of Gatineau claimed that the person became "aggressive", refused to cooperate, and struck one officer in the face.

When they moved to arrest her, police claimed, the woman resisted and bit a second officer.

At that point, she was handcuffed and then placed in the back of a patrol car -- "for the safety of those present" -- while the bailiff carried out his order.

The police claimed that the woman did not complain of any pain or injury, though later in the day police were called back by paramedics seeking "assistance when they were working with this person."

The Gatineau police statement said provincial prosecutors had been asked to review whether officers should face a criminal investigation. 

It also requested a review of whether charges could be brought against the woman for attacking officers and interfering with police work.

Read more: Canada extends anti-Russian sanctions: Foreign Ministry

"Flagrant" violation of 1961 Vienna Convention

The Senegal Foreign Ministry has demanded that the incident be investigated and proceedings brought against "the perpetrators of this inadmissible aggression." 

It called the incident a "flagrant" violation of the 1961 Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations.

In a statement, Ottawa said it would "continue to cooperate fully with Senegal to remedy this regrettable situation" and that it takes its Vienna Convention obligations "very seriously".

"We are working diligently with the various levels of government involved and look forward to a thorough investigation," the Canadian government said, adding that the Foreign Affairs Minister was in contact with her Senegalese counterpart.

Read more: Pope expresses regret for "evil" committed against Indigenous Canadian

  • ottawa
  • Canada
  • Senegal
  • Quebec

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS