Death toll from Monday's Hatay earthquakes rises to 6: Reports
The death toll from the two recent earthquakes in Turkey's Hatay Province is on the rise.
The death toll in Turkey's Hatay Province from earthquakes that hit the border region of Syria and Turkey on Monday has risen to six, the Turkish newspaper Star reported on Tuesday.
Earlier, Turkish broadcaster TRT Haber reported that a total of four people had been found dead after the earthquakes, and the search operation for two others remaining under the rubble was ongoing.
Turkey's disaster management authority, AFAD, on Monday reported two earthquakes in Turkey's Hatay Province, three minutes apart, with magnitudes of 6.4 and 5.8. Back then, Turkish authorities said three people were killed, and about 300 others were injured as a result.
On his part, Hatay Province Governor, Lutfu Savas, said several people were under the rubble of houses that had collapsed.
The recent earthquakes come just two weeks after a couple of devastating earthquakes and aftershocks struck Turkey and Syria leaving more than 46,000 dead and more than a million homeless in both countries.
Read more: US, UK donating trash clothing for Turkey-Syria earthquake victims