Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Egypt to prosecute travel agents for ‘fraudulent’ hajj trips

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: News websites
  • 23 Jun 2024 16:01
3 Min Read

Following hundreds of deaths, many attributed to extreme heat, the Prime Minister has ordered 16 companies to have their licenses revoked.

Listen
  • x
  • Muslim pilgrims circumambulate the Kaaba, the cubic building at the Grand Mosque, during the annual Hajj pilgrimage in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, on June 17, 2024. (AP)
    Muslim pilgrims circumambulate the Kaaba, the cubic building at the Grand Mosque, during the annual Hajj pilgrimage in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, on June 17, 2024. (AP)

Egyptian Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly has ordered the revoking of licenses from 16 tourism companies and referred their managers to the public prosecutor's office.

This action was taken due to allegations of illegally facilitating pilgrims' travel to Mecca for the Hajj. The decision follows reports from various countries of over 1,100 deaths, with many attributed to extreme heat during this year's pilgrimage.

Arab diplomats told AFP earlier this week that Egyptians accounted for 658 deaths, 630 of them unregistered pilgrims.

A statement issued by the Egyptian cabinet said, “The prime minister has ordered the licenses of these companies to be revoked, their managers to be referred to the public prosecutor, and the imposition of a fine to benefit the families of the pilgrims who died because of them.”.

The increase in deaths among unregistered Egyptian pilgrims was attributed to certain companies that organized Hajj programs using personal visit visas, which do not allow holders to enter Mecca through official channels.

On Friday, a senior Saudi official defended the Gulf kingdom’s management of the pilgrimage.

Difficult weather conditions, harsh temperature

Hajj permits are allocated to countries based on a quota system and distributed to individuals through a lottery. However, due to the high costs involved, many attempt the Hajj without a permit, despite the risks of arrest and deportation if caught by Saudi security forces.

The irregular route, which can save pilgrims thousands of dollars, has become increasingly popular since 2019, following Saudi Arabia's introduction of a general tourism visa that simplified entry into the Gulf kingdom.

The senior official stated that the Saudi government confirmed 577 deaths for the two busiest days of Hajj: Saturday, when pilgrims gathered for hours of prayers under the blazing sun on Mount Arafat, and Sunday, when they participated in the ritual of "stoning the devil" in Mina.

“This happened amid difficult weather conditions and a very harsh temperature,” the official said while acknowledging that the 577 figure was partial and did not cover all of the hajj, which formally ended on Wednesday.

The Hajj is one of the five pillars of Islam, and it is obligatory for all Muslims with the means to perform it at least once in their lives. Saudi officials had previously stated that 1.8 million pilgrims participated in this year’s Hajj, a number similar to last year's total, with 1.6 million pilgrims arriving from abroad.

  • Hajj
  • Egypt
  • Hajj pilgrimage
  • Saudi Arabia

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS