Growing US divide on country's future, poll shows
71% of Americans said they are "scared" or "angry" about the country's course in 2023, a poll shows.
A Sunday CBS News/YouGov poll showed that most US citizens are deeply concerned about the country's future under President Joe Biden in 2023.
71% of Americans said they are "scared" or "angry" about the country's course in 2023. 49% indicated they are "scared," while 22% said they are "angry". Only 11% stated they were "enthusiastic".
Only 7% say things are doing very well under Biden's leadership. 30% stated things aren't going well.
On the economic situation, 56% of respondents believe Biden's economy is deteriorating. Only 21% believe things are improving.
It is worth noting that Bloomberg has recently estimated that inflation will cost American households an extra $5,200, or $433 per month, in 2022. According to Moody's, such a figure would be $5,520 per year.
Respondents also said that Congress' main priority should be to control inflation (76%), reduce crime (63%), and move toward American energy independence (54%).
Signs of inevitable political violence
Another poll by CBS News/You Gov revealed that more than two-thirds of registered Republican voters said they want the party to show at least some signs of loyalty to former US President Donald Trump.
According to the poll, which was released on Monday, 65% of registered Republican respondents believe it is necessary for the party to show devotion to Trump to varied degrees. On the other hand, 35% of those polled believe the party does not need to show loyalty to the former President.
The poll comes as the GOP's future remains uncertain following a surprisingly poor showing in November's midterm elections. Some Republican candidates who received Trump's endorsement lost their elections, raising concerns about the party's relationship with the former President.
It is also worth noting that the findings of YouGov and the Economist research have recently shown that more than two-fifths of US citizens consider a civil war inevitable in the next ten years, a figure that rises to more than half among self-identified "strong Republicans".
Eyeing its long history of political violence and assassination, current rising radicalism seems to increase jagged political division.