Hezbollah and Amal: We approve a return to cabinet sessions
Lebanon's Hezbollah and Amal movement announce they will return to cabinet sessions in order to approve the government budget and discuss the economic recovery plan.
The leaderships of Hezbollah and the Amal movement in Lebanon announced their assent to a return to Lebanese government meetings on Saturday in order to approve the budget and discuss the economic recovery plan.
The leaderships of Hezbollah and Amal clarified in a statement that they announce their return to participating in government sessions to address the needs of Lebanon's people and to prevent being accused of obstruction.
According to the statement, Lebanon is currently going through an unprecedented economic and financial crisis amid a complicated political situation. It was for these reasons that the two found their refraining from participating in the cabinet to be both political and constitutional.
The one and only pathway to resolving crises in Lebanon, the statement said, is to have a strong and trustworthy government, reminding that the current judge investigating the Beirut Port blast is committing legal violations and is circumventing the constitution and that legal, political, and public attempts to push the judge to abide by the law have been obstructed.
Miqati welcomes Hezbollah and Amal's statement
Lebanese PM Najib Mikati welcomed the two movements' joint statement and said that their return is in line with his calls for everyone to assume their national responsibilities, particularly during this sensitive time for Lebanon.
1/3 صدر عن المكتب الاعلامي لرئيس مجلس الوزراء نجيب ميقاتي البيان الاتي:— رئاسة مجلس الوزراء 🇱🇧 (@grandserail) January 15, 2022
يرحّب دولة رئيس مجلس الوزراء بالبيان الصادر عن حركة أمل وحزب الله بشأن العودة الى المشاركة في جلسات مجلس الوزراء، ما يتلاقى مع الدعوات المتكررة التي اطلقها دولته لمشاركة الجميع ...
Mikati also tweeted that he will call the cabinet to a meeting as soon as the draft law for the budget is received from the Finance Ministry.
Hashem to Al Mayadeen: Amal and Hezbollah's statement refutes allegations made against them
Development and Liberation bloc MP, Qasem Hashem commented on the statement saying it refutes allegations made against Hezbollah and Amal.
Speaking to Al Mayadeen, Hashem said that this move has opened the door toward what the Lebanese people care about in terms of their worsening living conditions, adding that this is a positive step made in good faith.
Earlier today, Hezbollah Deputy Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said that the judicial investigator into the Beirut Port blast, Tariq Bitar, and those standing behind him are the direct reason behind the obstruction of constitutional institutions.
Qassem said it was strange that Bitar still retains his position while 21 motions to remove him from the investigation were filed against him after he caused a commotion in the judiciary.
Hezbollah Secretary-General Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah had said in October of last year that Bitar is exploiting the victims’ blood in service of political goals as he continues the path set by his predecessor.