ICJ to hear Sudan genocide case filed against UAE
Sudan originally filed its case against the UAE for its role in supporting the Rapid-Support Forces paramilitary group.
-
Seats of the judges at the International Court of Justice, or World Court, in The Hague, Netherlands, Thursday, May 23, 2024. (AP)
Sudan's case against the UAE will be heard on April 10 by the International Court of Justice, a World Court announcement said on Friday.
Sudan accused the UAE of providing weapons to the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), which have been fighting a two-year civil war against the Sudanese army, and while the UAE denied these allegations, UN experts and US lawmakers considered the accusations credible.
Sudan's complaint to the International Court of Justice (ICJ), based in The Hague, concerns severe ethnic-based attacks that occurred in 2023 in West Darfur, where the RSF and allied Arab militias targeted the non-Arab Masalit tribe.
These attacks were extensively documented by Reuters, which detailed the violence against the Masalit people, while the United States deemed them as genocide in January 2025.
This closely follows the Sudanese Army's victory announcement, after they retook Khartoum and expelled RSF forces who took over the capital at the start of the war 2 years ago.
Sudanese army declares victory
Sudan's army leader, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, arrived at the presidential palace in Khartoum on March 26, declaring the capital "free" from the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces following nearly two years of conflict.
"Khartoum is free, it's done," Burhan declared in a state television broadcast, ending a multi-day battle by his forces to retake downtown Khartoum's public institutions from paramilitary control.
Sudan's army announced Friday it had regained control of the presidential palace in Khartoum from the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces following intense fighting. On social media, soldiers shared videos appearing inside the presidential palace, exchanging congratulations.
Military spokesperson Nabil Abdallah told AFP that the troops had reclaimed and "fully secured" Khartoum airport, where RSF forces had been stationed for nearly two years.
After seizing the presidential palace in a crucial battlefield victory on Friday, the army pushed into central Khartoum, eliminating paramilitary groups, while an army source, requesting anonymity as he was not authorized to speak to the media, told AFP that "the remnants of the RSF militia are fleeing" over the White Nile.