Iran says nuclear talks extend into September
Tehran is still "seriously reviewing the US response at an expert level" but would take "at least" until September 2 to reply.
Iran claimed that discussions between the US and the EU about a plan to resurrect the nuclear agreement would continue into the following month.
According to a tweet from the state-run agency Nour News on Sunday, Iran would take "at least" until September 2 to reply to the Biden administration's criticism of the latest EU draft that aims to save the 2015 agreement.
The agency reported that Tehran is still "seriously reviewing the US response at an expert level."
The EU's proposed document is viewed as the culmination of nearly 18 months of work to revive a pact that former US President Donald Trump pulled out of four years ago. According to the original accord, Iran's economy and vital oil shipments were to be less sanctioned in return for restricting the country's atomic operations.
Iran's latest concessions have raised hopes that diplomats will soon be able to reach a deal.
The #JCPOA was an agreement reached between Iran and the P5+1 (5 permanent UNSC members + Ger.), whereby #Iran would decrease uranium enrichment & allow IAEA monitoring of its nuclear facilities in exchange for economic & trade incentives & removal of sanctions.#ViennaTalks pic.twitter.com/H0tDP62DbC— Al Mayadeen English (@MayadeenEnglish) December 2, 2021
Stephane Dujarric, a UN spokesperson, said in a press conference on Thursday that UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian, in a phone call earlier in the day, exchanged viewpoints on the 2015 JCPOA (Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action) revival efforts and the Iranian nuclear program.
Dujarric added that Guterres emphasized in the call that the efforts made by all the sides involved in JCPOA revival negotiations in Vienna were of extreme importance.
When asked whether the US has reacted to the EU's Iran nuclear proposal and Tehran's remarks on the suggested draft, White House National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby stated to reporters on Wednesday that the Biden administration will not negotiate in public.
Kirby said during the press conference that "We're not going to want to negotiate this thing in public and hash out every step of the process here and publicly," and added that he can confirm that Iran did drop a few concessions that were vital to the progress made in the revival of the nuclear deal.