Israeli army facing severe manpower crisis: Ex-security official
Jacob Nagel has revealed that investments must be made into the Israeli military and its strategies as Iran transpires as a central power against "Israel".
-
Israeli occupation soldiers take up positions next to the Philadelphi Corridor along the border with Egypt, in the Gaza Strip, Sept. 13, 2024 (AP)
The Israeli military is witnessing a serious manpower crisis amid the "growing threat posed by Iran," Jacob Nagel, the former Israeli acting National Security Adviser, warned on Thursday, urging the reassessment of military strategies following the events of October 7, 2023.
According to Nagel, "the manpower crisis was evident even before the October attack and has become even more pressing since then," highlighting that the problem includes shortages in conscripts and reserve service, in addition to weaknesses in permanent service.
The retired brigadier general added that his specialized committee had presented comprehensive recommendations to resolve the crisis, including budget allocations and the implementation of strategic plans, noting that "the prime minister has already ordered steps to put them into action."
Moreover, Nagel discussed a change in the military’s security doctrine, which "used to rely on defense and containment strategies" but currently "necessitates a shift to an offensive and preemptive strategy."
He claimed that "threats must be neutralized before they materialize," admitting that the concept of "peace at any cost is no longer a primary objective," and claiming that the "army must be proactive and effective to achieve a faster and greater victory."
He further stated that recommendations for the military's security should focus on "strengthening offensive capabilities, improving air and border defense systems, and adapting the army’s various branches—with a particular emphasis on ground forces—to prepare for evolving scenarios," also underscoring "the need for underground defensive readiness and for Israel to develop independent armament capabilities."
Regarding Iran, Nagel said the Islamic Republic is the central force standing against "Israel", which should allegedly prompt greater investment to build military strength and readiness.
"Iran still believes in, thinks about, and intends to destroy Israel, and this threat must be taken seriously," he said.
Read more: IRGC says Palestinian Resistance to end Israeli occupation
Iran warns 'Israel', US
The leader of the Islamic Revolution and the Islamic Republic of Iran Sayyed Ali Khamenei issued a strong warning last Monday, stating that any entity contemplating hostile actions against Iran would face a severe and equal response.
Sayyed Khamenei also emphasized that any attempt to incite internal discord would be met with firm resistance from the Iranian people, as demonstrated in the past.
Moreover, Ali Larijani, senior advisor to Sayyed Ali Khamenei, warned that any US or Israeli attack on Iran under the pretext of its nuclear program would force Tehran to move toward producing a nuclear bomb.
The attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities does not serve American interests, Larijani stated, declaring, “In such a case, we would be compelled to take another path that could create a secondary justification for acquiring nuclear weapons.”
Larijani further asserted that if Iran were attacked, the Iranian people would "push for an accelerated development of nuclear weapons." He clarified that any strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities would not hinder the country’s progress for more than two years, given Tehran’s precautionary measures.
Read more: Iran ready to face any threats from foreign powers: Exclusive