Israeli security agencies 'unanimously' supported Gaza aggression
Israeli media say the plan to return to war was initially presented late last week during a meeting of the security cabinet.
-
In this photo provided by the Israeli Government Press Office, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, center, convenes his security Cabinet to vote on a ceasefire deal in al-Quds, January 17, 2025. (AP)
The final approval to resume the Israeli war on Gaza was granted "unanimously" during security consultations revealed by Channel Kan 11, "Israel's" public broadcaster reported on Tuesday.
The consultations were attended by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Security Minister Israel Katz, Strategic Affairs Minister Ron Dermer, Chief of Staff Eyal Zamir, Shin Bet Director Ronen Bar, Military Intelligence Director Shlomi Binder, and other senior officials, according to the broadcaster.
"All participants in the meeting fully supported the decision to launch an attack on Hamas after negotiations over the release of captives, mediated by Qatar, reached a deadlock," the report noted.
It mentioned that the plan to return to war was initially presented late last week during a meeting of the security cabinet, but the exact timing of the operation had not been determined.
According to the report, "At this stage, the Israeli army has launched an air offensive, but in Israel, officials affirm that the attack will soon escalate and include a series of additional measures if there is no significant breakthrough in negotiations over the release of captives."
Katz stated that "Israel" will continue fighting in Gaza as long as the captives are not returned and all war objectives have not been achieved.
Apart from the release of the remaining captives, "Israel's other main war aim is to crush Hamas," he indicated.
US President Donald Trump greenlit "Israel's" renewed war on Gaza after Hamas refused to release more captives, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing an Israeli official.
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said in a Fox News interview that "Israel" consulted with the administration of President Donald Trump before launching a series of large-scale airstrikes on Gaza early Tuesday.
Earlier on Tuesday, Netanyahu stated that he had directed the military to take "strong action" against Hamas in Gaza, citing the Palestinian group's refusal to release captives and its rejection of ceasefire proposals.
"Israel will, from now on, act against Hamas with increasing military strength," his office said.
Following heavy airstrikes, the Israeli occupation military issued evacuation orders for several neighborhoods in Gaza, according to an official statement.
Meanwhile, Hamas accused "Israel" of overturning the ceasefire agreement, leaving the fate of 59 captives still held in Gaza uncertain.
Read more: Arab, Palestinian parties condemn Israeli aggression on Gaza