Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Pope Leo XIV: Peacemakers do not flee, but dare to stay even if it costs them some sacrifice.
The Pope to the Lebanese: You are a diverse country and a community made up of communities united by one language, the language of hope, which has allowed you to start anew.
Pope Leo XIV to the Lebanese: You are a people who do not give up, but a people who persevere in the face of difficulties and know how to be reborn.
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options

Mexico says will take Ecuador to the ICJ

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 8 Apr 2024 10:15
2 Min Read

Mexico's Foreign Minister announces that Mexico City intends to file a complaint against Ecuador following the embassy raid in Quito.

  • x
  • Mexico's Foreign Minister Alicia Barcena speaks speaks at a meeting on Haiti at the Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) in Kingston, Jamaica, March 11, 2024. (AP)
    Mexico's Foreign Minister Alicia Barcena speaks at a meeting on Haiti at the Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) in Kingston, Jamaica, on March 11, 2024. (AP)

Mexico plans to pursue legal action against Ecuador at the International Court of Justice in response to the embassy raid in Quito according to the Mexican Foreign Minister Alicia Barcena.

Barcena announced, during an event welcoming Mexican diplomats who left Ecuador earlier on Sunday, "Starting tomorrow we are going to the ICJ where we are presenting this sad case," adding, "We believe that we can win this case quickly."

Spain and the European Union, alongside the United Nations chief and nations from Latin America, have joined in condemning Quito for the embassy raid.

Mexico evacuates Ecuador embassy

The Mexican Foreign Ministry confirmed on Sunday that its embassy in Ecuador is evacuating all of its staff, and is closing indefinitely following the arrest of former Ecuadorian Vice President Jorge Glas who was taking refuge in the embassy compound, leading to the bilateral diplomatic relations being severed.

In a statement, the Foreign Ministry said, "Mexico reiterates its condemnation of the violation of the immunity of its embassy in Quito and the aggression against its personnel. The Foreign Ministry will evacuate all diplomatic personnel and their families from Ecuador on Sunday, April 7. The Embassy of Mexico will remain closed indefinitely."

It added that the return of diplomatic staff and respective families is being coordinated by top Mexican diplomat Alicia Barcena, per the instruction of Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador.

Obrador was quoted in the statement as saying, "We are looking after our diplomats; they are not alone. They have shown dignity and decorum, as seen by the attitude of Raquel Serur, our ambassador, and Roberto Canseco, deputy chief of mission at the embassy."

The government of Mexico granted political asylum to former Ecuadorian Vice President Jorge Glas, who took refuge at the Embassy of Mexico in Quito. The government of Ecuador, under President Daniel Noboa, labelled the embassy's decision as an "illicit act" and dismissed the idea of providing safe passage for Glas to leave, and prompting the government to consider Mexico's ambassador in Quito, Raquel Serur, persona non grata.

Read more: Venezuela slams US, Canada silence on Mexican embassy storming

  • Ecuador
  • Mexico
  • International Court of Justice
  • Quito
  • Mexican embassy storming

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025
Point-blank killings: 'Israel' executes 2 Palestinian youths in Jenin

Graphic footage: IOF execute 2 Palestinians from point blank in Jenin

  • Politics
  • 27 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS