Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Netanyahu barred from reform plans due to corruption accusations

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Times of Israel
  • 3 Feb 2023 21:17
  • 1 Shares
3 Min Read

An Israeli attorney general says that Netanyahu should refrain from participating in the government's efforts to reform the judicial system because of conflict of interest.

  • x
  • Israeli occupation Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (AP)
    Israeli occupation Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (AP Photo)

Israeli occupation Attorney General Gali Baharav-Miara informed Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday that he could not take part in his government's efforts to fundamentally reform the legal and judicial system because "he has conflict of interest due to his ongoing corruption trial."

According to the Times of Israel, the statement evoked a sharp response from Justice Minister Yariv Levin, who accused Baharav-Miara of "herself having a conflict of interest" in opposing the reforms.

Baharav-Miara's warning followed a petition the Movement for Quality Government in "Israel" submitted to the High Court of Justice last month, asking the attorney general to create new conflict-of-interest arrangements for Netanyahu after he took over as prime minister again in January.

"In your role as Prime Minister, you must refrain from initiatives involving the legal system within the framework known as 'the legal reform,'" Baharav-Miara wrote in a letter that was published on Thursday.

"This is due to the reasonable suspicion of a conflict of interests between issues pertaining to the legal proceedings against you, and the array of legislative initiatives and their substantive components" that the government is "advancing in its package of legal reforms," she said. "This includes any direct or indirect action or instruction through others, including the involvement of officials serving in your office as political appointees."

In the event that Netanyahu is convicted of corruption in the ongoing trial in the District Court of occupied, "he would be able to appeal the conviction to the Supreme Court, to which his government is likely to make appointments during its tenure," The Times of Israel said.

Netanyahu's office did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but Levin strongly criticized Baharav-Miara's letter.

In January, Baharav-Miara filed an opinion with the High Court stating that a conflict of interest agreement drawn up by her predecessor Avichai Mandelblit in 2020 for Netanyahu was still in effect.

Under the arrangement, Netanyahu cannot involve himself in any issues that affect witnesses or other defendants in his trial or in legislation that would impact the legal proceedings against him.

Also, he cannot be involved in any matters related to the status of several top police and prosecution officials, in several fields under the responsibility of the Communications Ministry or in the Judicial Selection Committee.

It is worth noting that political divisions in "Israel" between the government and the opposition are escalating in light of the exchange of accusations of responsibility for the possible outbreak of an "internal war", as "Israel" is witnessing demonstrations by thousands of settlers against the government of Benjamin Netanyahu.

Israeli settlers took to the streets in protest of changes to the Israeli "judicial" system that Benjamin Netanyahu's government proposed.

The demonstrators repeated chants against the new Israeli occupation government and some of its extremist ministers, such as Police Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir and Finance Minister Betzalel Smotrich, as per Israeli media.

Read: 'Israel' divided: Supreme Court rebuffs 'judicial reform' plan

  • Occupied Palestine
  • Palestine
  • Israel
  • Corruption
  • Benjamin Netanyahu
  • judicial reform plan

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS