Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land

Netanyahu announces decision to fire Shin Bet Chief, latter refuses

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 16 Mar 2025 22:12
  • 3 Shares
6 Min Read

The Attorney General's Office has intervened, issuing a letter to Netanyahu outlining the legal procedures required before Shin Bet chief Ronen Bar can be dismissed.

Listen
  • x
  • AP
    Ronen Bar, chief of "Israel's" Shin Bet security agency, attends a ceremony in occupied Palestine, May 13, 2024 (Pool photo via AP, File)

Israeli website Ynet reported on Sunday that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has decided to dismiss Shin Bet chief Ronen Bar, summoning him to inform him of the decision.

The Prime Minister's Office stated that the matter will be put to a vote in the cabinet meeting this week, effectively bringing Bar's tenure at the Internal Security Service to an end. Sources within the Prime Minister's Office indicated that Netanyahu had urged Bar to step down voluntarily, but after he refused, the prime minister opted for dismissal.

Bar, who previously acknowledged the shortcomings of Shin Bet in the lead-up to the October 7 operation, had expressed his intention to remain in office at least until May. He has been advocating for an independent commission of inquiry to investigate the failures of the leadership, the Israeli Occupation Force (IOF), and security agencies—a move Netanyahu has strongly opposed.

In a recorded statement, Netanyahu said that over time, he had "increasingly lost confidence" in Bar, stressing that maintaining trust in the head of the security service is crucial during wartime. However, the decision to remove Bar may be challenged in court due to concerns over a potential conflict of interest.

Axios reporter Barak Ravid said that according to Netanyahu's aides, he decided to move forward with the firing of the head of Shin Bet after the PM's visit to Washington in early February.

Ravid quoted these aides as saying that "he was inspired by the moves Trump took 'against the deep state' and his decision to appoint loyalists to all key posts."

In a statement, Ronen Bar said he'd told Netanyahu he had "several sensitive investigations" to complete, as well as getting Israeli remaining captives out, before offering his resignation and offering two internal candidates to succeed him.

He said he still intends to complete those tasks before stepping down, refusing Netanyahu's decision to oust him.

The Israeli legal advisor to the government wrote to Prime Minister Netanyahu that there is concern that his decision to fire the head of the Shin Bet is tainted with illegality and a conflict of interest.

The Shin Bet struggle with Netanyahu

The power struggle between Netanyahu and Bar escalated last week when the prime minister publicly accused the Shin Bet chief of blackmail. In a statement posted on X, Netanyahu claimed that "Israel" had crossed a “serious red line,” alleging that an unnamed former security official—widely believed to be former Shin Bet chief Nadav Argaman—had issued direct threats against him. He further accused Bar of orchestrating a media campaign to pressure him over decisions regarding the intelligence agency's leadership.

Bar's dismissal comes as the Shin Bet is investigating allegations that some of Netanyahu's close advisors, who work in the Prime Minister's Office, have acted on behalf of Qatar. Additionally, the agency has been looking into claims that a spokesperson for Netanyahu leaked false information to international media during the war.

Legal challenges to Netanyahu's move

The Attorney General's Office has intervened, issuing a letter to Netanyahu outlining the legal procedures required before Bar can be dismissed. According to the letter, the prime minister must submit his request for consideration and ensure that the decision is based on substantial evidence rather than external influences.

An assistant attorney general who signed the letter stressed that while the government holds the authority to remove the Shin Bet chief, the process must adhere to established administrative and legal norms.

Read more: Israeli justice minister to sack attorney-general over 'obstruction'

Netanyahu's purge sparks backlash

Critics of the move argue that the firing is politically motivated. Opposition leader Yair Lapid accused Netanyahu of acting to shield his inner circle from scrutiny.

"Bar said many times that he will resign and assume his responsibility for the failings in the Oct. massacre, after the return of the hostages. He is a professional, has been leading the negotiations, and his sacking at this time is irresponsible and a lack of commitment to the fate of the hostages," Lapid said.

He went on to denounce Netanyahu's decision, asserting that it reflects a prioritization of personal interests over national security.

"This is proof of a moral breakdown," he added. "Netanyahu once again puts his private interests above those of the country and its security. He will not succeed in placing the blame for the failings leading to the massacre on the security agencies. He is first and foremost responsible."

Lapid also confirmed that his party intends to appeal Bar's dismissal in court.

A deepening crisis in 'Israel's' security leadership

The political and security crisis surrounding Netanyahu's government has intensified, as his refusal to open an official investigation into the October 7 attack continues to generate widespread criticism. A Supreme Court-mandated cabinet meeting in February ended without action, fueling accusations that the prime minister is obstructing accountability efforts.

Former Shin Bet chief Nadav Argaman has added to the controversy, warning in an interview with Israeli Channel 12 that he would expose sensitive information if Netanyahu were to engage in illegal actions.

Meanwhile, the families of Israeli captives, legal experts, and human rights organizations have condemned Netanyahu's refusal to investigate intelligence failures, accusing him of prioritizing his own political survival over national security.

Internationally, the prime minister's actions are further isolating "Israel", as the regime continues its assault on Gaza while avoiding accountability for its failures. Hamas officials have warned that if "Israel" does not adhere to the ceasefire agreement, it will "pay a heavy price."

Read more: Netanyahu orders preparations for talks on US proposal for Gaza

  • Israel
  • Benjamin Netanyahu
  • Shin Bet
  • Ronen Bar

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
National Guard are seen after reports of two National Guard soldiers shot near the White House in Washington, Wednesday, November 26, 2025. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
Politics

NG shooting suspect belonged to CIA 'Zero Units' in Afghanistan

This satellite image taken by Airbus DS shows objects on the ground at the Saudi Maternity Hospital in el-Fasher, Sudan (AP)
Politics

Inside the RSF’s brutal campaign against El Fasher’s healthcare

Lebanon urges UN action as 'Israel' builds new walls inside its border
Politics

Lebanon files UN complaint over Israeli concrete walls inside border

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation
Politics

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS