Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land

Pentagon: Kabul Attack Carried Out by One Suicide Bomber

  • By Al Mayadeen
  • Source: Al Mayadeen & Agencies
  • 27 Aug 2021 22:29
3 Min Read

The US Department of Defense said the attack near Kabul airport was carried out by a single suicide bomber at one of the airport gates. John Kirby, a Pentagon spokesman, says there are still "specific, credible" threats.

  • x
  • Pentagon: Kabul attack carried out by one suicide bomber
    Pentagon: Kabul attack carried out by one suicide bomber

The Pentagon said today that the bloody attack that took place near Kabul airport yesterday was carried out by a single suicide bomber at one of the airport gates, and that there was no second explosion in a nearby hotel after ISIS claimed the attack on the airport.

"I can confirm for you that we do not believe that there was a second explosion at or near the Baron Hotel, that it was one suicide bomber," Major General William Taylor said, noting that US soldiers who were injured in the blast are now being treated in Germany.

A Pentagon spokesman had previously announced that two explosions occurred outside the Kabul airport.

In turn, Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said that the United States believes that there are still specific and credible threats, adding that "We certainly are prepared and would expect future attempts." 

"We're monitoring these threats, very, very specifically, virtually in real-time," Kirby said.

Reuters quoted a US official, as saying that military officials told the US President that the next few days will be more dangerous.

The agency noted that Joe Biden gave military leaders full authority to conduct operations against ISIS targets.

On Thursday night, a terrorist attack occurred near Kabul airport during a US-led operation to evacuate tens of thousands of people from Hamid Karzai International Airport.

U.S. General Frank McKenzie, the Head of U.S. Central Command, said yesterday that initial information indicates that two suicide bombers attacked the airport gate and the nearby Baron Hotel.

Taliban strongly condemned the explosion that targeted civilians near Kabul airport; a Taliban official confirmed that at least 28 militants of the movement were killed in the Kabul bombing.

Today, the United Nations Security Council stressed that the perpetrators of the attack against Kabul airport must be brought to justice, denouncing a disgraceful act that targeted civilians.

In a statement, members of the Security Council stressed the need to hold accountable the perpetrators, masterminds, financiers, and godfathers of these criminal terrorist acts, and to bring them to justice, calling on all states to cooperate in this regard.

The death toll from the explosion near Kabul airport has risen to more than 170, according to local Afghan media.

US President Joe Biden said today that he will bear responsibility for everything that has happened recently in Afghanistan, and that his heart is broken.

He added that the attack in Kabul was carried out by an ISIS Afghanistan affiliate, called 'ISIS-Khorasan.'

  • United States
  • Afghanistan
  • Kabul Explosions
  • white house
  • Kabul

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS