Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Russian forces capture Mariupol Azovstal steel plant: Moscow

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 20 May 2022 23:17
3 Min Read

The Russian Armed Forces have complete control over the Azovstal steelworks plant in Mariupol after holing up thousands of Ukrainian soldiers and Azov Battalion militants in the plant for weeks.

  • x
  • Azovstal steel factory located in the city of Mariupol
    Azovstal steel factory located in the city of Mariupol

The Russian Armed Forces have seized the Azovstal steel manufacturing plant in Mariupol, Russian Defense Ministry spokesperson Major General Igor Konashenkov said Friday, revealing that Moscow now has full control of the plant, including its underground facilities.

"The territory of the Azovstal metallurgical plant in Mariupol, where a group of Ukrainian militants from Nazi formation Azov has been blocked since April 21 this year, has been completely liberated," Konashenkov told a briefing. The militants were mainly hiding in the plant's underground facilities.

2,439 Azov militants and Ukrainian soldiers have laid down their arms and surrendered since May 16, the spokesperson added.

"Today, on May 20, the last group of 531 militants surrendered," Konashenkov said, revealing that Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu has briefed President Vladimir Putin about the end of the Russian operation at Azovstal.

The Russian military had reported Thursday that 771 Ukrainian militants from the neo-Nazi Azov Battalion, who had been locked in the Azovstal steel plant in Mariupol over the past week due to a Russian-imposed siege on the area, surrendered in the past 24 hours. This brought up the total number of Ukrainian soldiers who surrendered this week at the plant to 1,730, but with the operation ending today, the number increased significantly.

Kiev's forces trapped at Azovstal had reached an agreement on removing the wounded from the steel plant and transferring them to medical facilities in the Donetsk People's Republic (DPR), according to a Russian Defense Ministry press briefing on Monday.

However, Kiev ordered the remaining extremist Azov battalion troops holed up in Mariupol's besieged Azovstal steelworks plant to lay down their arms earlier today.

Despite the combatants surrendering unconditionally to the Donetsk people's militia and Russian forces, Kiev continues to be disconnected from reality claiming that the ongoing surrender is a mass rescue operation, as it refused to comment on such news that would endanger the efforts of the rescue.

Denis Pushilin, head of the breakaway Donetsk People's Republic, which now includes the city of Mariupol, said more than half the fighters had surrendered, and that the uninjured had been taken to a prison near Donetsk.

Mariupol had been a playground for Ukrainian provocations since the war broke out in the country on February 24. The Russian Defense Ministry had revealed that Ukrainian nationalists in Mariupol used about 150 civilians as human shields and opened fire against DPR fighters from behind the civilians' backs.

  • United States
  • Donetsk Republic
  • Sergei Shoigu
  • Mariupol
  • Azov Battalion
  • Russia
  • Ukraine
  • Azovstal
  • Russian Armed Forces
Russia & NATO

Russia & NATO

As the Draconian Western-led sanctions on Russia exacerbate the economic crisis worldwide, and as Russian troops gain more ground despite the influx of military aid into Ukraine, exposing US direct involvement in bio-labs spread across Eastern Europe and the insurgence of neo-Nazi groups… How will things unfold?

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS