Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent: Venezuela's request comes in response to the escalation of aggression and the unprecedented US military deployment in the Caribbean.
Al Mayadeen's correspondent: The Venezuelan government has officially requested an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council.
Al Mayadeen's correspondent: Israeli artillery shells the northwest of Nuseirat Camp in central Gaza Strip.
Israeli media: The ceasefire has come into effect.
Palestinian media: Israeli occupation forces storm Balata camp in the eastern part of the city of Nablus.
Reuters, citing senior US officials: The United States will deploy 200 troops as part of a joint task force to ensure stability in Gaza.
Netanyahu's office: Israeli government approves Gaza ceasefire and hostage deal.
Al Mayadeen correspondent: Intense shelling and heavy gunfire reported north of Nuseirat camp in the central Gaza Strip.
Al Mayadeen correspondent: An Israeli airstrike targeted the northern area of Khan Younis city in the southern Gaza Strip.
Israeli Broadcasting Authority: During the first 72 hours, aerial surveillance will be suspended in areas from which the Israeli army has withdrawn.

Spain boosts ICC funding, backs ICJ genocide case against 'Israel'

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: News websites
  • 28 Nov 2024 17:33
  • 1 Shares
3 Min Read

Spanish FM Jose Manuel Albares stresses that violence in Gaza and Lebanon has global repercussions, calling for the EU to re-examine its relationship with "Israel".

  • x
  • Spain's Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares Bueno attends a meeting for talks on the Middle East in Brussels, Sunday, May 26, 2024. (AP)
    Spain's Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares Bueno attends a meeting for talks on the Middle East in Brussels, on Sunday, May 26, 2024 (AP)

Spain on Thursday announced a €1.6 million ($1.7 million) funding increase for the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague as it reaffirmed its commitment to upholding international law following the court's issuance of arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former Security Minister Yoav Gallant.

The Spanish government also voiced support for South Africa's genocide case against "Israel" before the International Court of Justice (ICJ).

"We want international law, not impunity, to prevail," Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares told parliament, noting that Spain is now among the ICC's top 10 financial contributors.

Albares further stressed that the violence in Gaza and Lebanon has global repercussions, calling for the EU to re-examine its relationship with "Israel".

The ICC last week issued arrest warrants for Netanyahu and Gallant citing war crimes and crimes against humanity in Gaza.

While several European nations have stated they would enforce the warrants, others, including France, remain hesitant.

Read more: Experts urge full compliance with Netanyahu, Gallant ICC warrants

Related News

UNRWA chief welcomes Gaza ceasefire, says agency ready to deliver aid

‘They are wasting away’: Gaza’s children face mass starvation

Netanyahu has sought to challenge the ICC's jurisdiction by formally notifying the court of "Israel’s" intent to appeal. However, the ICC has already stated that its decisions are final and beyond appeal, leaving Netanyahu’s maneuver as little more than a performative deflection aimed at maintaining domestic and international support.

Humanitarian commitment

Spain also announced an additional €4 million in aid for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA), which Albares described as a "stabilizing factor" in the region.

The aid is part of Madrid's broader strategy to address the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Gaza.

Albares reiterated Spain's stance on the war, advocating for a ceasefire in Gaza, the return of Israeli captives, and the recognition of an independent Palestinian state.

He dismissed allegations of Spain selling arms to "Israel" or facilitating weapons shipments via its ports, labeling such claims as "misinformation."

Read more: Spain denies docking to US weapons vessels bound for 'Israel'

The announcement comes amidst heightened scrutiny of Israeli war crimes in Gaza, where an ongoing genocide has resulted in over 44,000 deaths, mostly among women and children, and more than 104,000 injuries.

"Peace in the Middle East will arrive because no stable future can be achieved on permanent violence," Albares said, urging the international community to act.

He concluded by emphasizing the need for Spain and the EU to promote dialogue and humanitarian efforts, ensuring that the path to peace is as "least painful as possible."

  • UNRWA
  • Gaza Strip
  • war on Gaza
  • Palestine
  • Spain
  • ICC
  • Israel
  • Gaza genocide
  • Gaza
  • Jose Manuel Albares
  • ICJ
War on Gaza

War on Gaza

Most Read

A Hamas fighter in combat fatigues stands before the ceremony for the handover of Israeli captives to the Red Cross in Nuseirat, central Gaza Strip, Saturday, February 22, 2025 (AP)

Hamas responds to Trump plan, backs Gaza withdrawal, exchange

  • Politics
  • 3 Oct 2025
Mossad’s secret role in Aldo Moro’s 1978 murder revealed

Mossad’s secret role in Aldo Moro’s 1978 murder exposed

  • Politics
  • 5 Oct 2025
The Palestinian resistance and the people of Gaza showed that after combating Israeli aggression for two years, they remain victorious in the face of oppression (Mahdi Rteil/Al Mayadeen English)

Al-Aqsa Flood two years on, a tale of victory

  • Politics
  • 6 Oct 2025
President Donald Trump walks from Marine One after arriving on the South Lawn of the White House, Tuesday, Sept. 30, 2025, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Trump sets record-low refugee cap in new immigration policy shift

  • Politics
  • 4 Oct 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
Displaced Palestinians watch smoke rise after Israeli military strikes as they gather on the coastal road near Wadi Gaza, in the central Gaza Strip, Thursday, October 9, 2025 (AP)
Politics

Israeli occupation bombs Gaza home, killing 4 and wounding 9

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, right, visit the site of a shooting attack at a bus stop in al-Quds, Monday, September 8, 2025 (AP)
Politics

Ben-Gvir warns will topple Netanyahu’s govt over Hamas

Head of Hamas in Gaza Khalil al-Hayya speaks during an interview with AP, in Istanbul, Turkey, Wednesday, April 24, 2024 (AP)
Politics

Deal reached for permanent Gaza ceasefire, end to war: Al-Hayya

Yemeni Ansar Allah leader Sayyed Abdul-Malik al-Houthi during his speech on Thursday, Ocotber 9, 2025 (Yemeni Military Media)
Politics

Sayyed al-Houthi: Yemen on alert as Gaza ceasefire takes effect

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS