Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Taiwan confirms downing Chinese civilian drone near Kinmen Islands

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 1 Sep 2022 15:33
  • 2 Shares
3 Min Read

For the first time ever, the Taiwanese military downs a drone it claimed entered a "restricted zone" near the Taiwanese-controlled Kinmen Islands.

  • x
  • Kinmen Islands (AFP)
    Kinmen Islands (AFP)

The Taiwanese Defense Ministry said on Thursday that the island's military had shot down a civilian drone intended for aerial photography in the area of the Taiwanese-controlled Kinmen Islands located off the southeastern coast of mainland China, claiming the drone had entered a "restricted zone".

In a statement, the Ministry indicated that "on September 1, at 12:30 p.m. local time [04:30 GMT], an unidentified civil drone for aerial photography was detected after it had entered the airspace over the closed water area of the Shi Islet."

"The stationed troops followed procedures to warn off the drone but to no avail. The drone was shot down in defensive fire," the statement read.

This is the first time Taiwanese forces have downed a drone, and it comes at a time when tensions between Taiwan and China are at their highest in decades following a provocative visit to Taipei last month by US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

Chiu Chui-cheng, deputy head of Taiwan's China-policy making Mainland Affairs Council, told reporters in Taipei that Taiwan had the legal authority to take "necessary defense measures," claiming that Chinese aircraft were not allowed into Kinmen's air space.

He said that those measures include forcing aircraft to leave or land.

Earlier on Thursday, Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen's office cited her in a statement as saying that China was using drones and other "grey zone" tactics to try to intimidate Taiwan.

Speaking to the Taiwanese military, Tsai "ordered the Ministry of National Defense to take necessary and strong countermeasures in a timely manner to defend national security," according to the statement.

Taiwan vows counter-attack if China enters 'its territory'

It is noteworthy that on Tuesday, the Taiwanese military fired on a Chinese People's Liberation Army drone for the first time after it had approached the Kinmen Islands, saying that the defense forces would continue to stay on high alert and step up surveillance.

Kinmen Islands is a group of islands located roughly 6.2 miles east of the city of Xiamen in China's Fujian Province administered by Taiwan.

According to the South China Morning Post newspaper, no Chinese military aircraft, including drones, have flown over the islands since the 1950s.

Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen warned this week that the military might be forced to resort to live fire if the drones ignored warnings to leave.

On his part, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian considered Monday that drones were not "anything worth making a fuss about" as the drones were "flying around Chinese territory."

Read more: Taipei confirms PLA drone filmed Taiwanese soldiers in Kinmen Islands

  • Taiwan
  • Kinmen
  • Beijing
  • Taipei
  • Tsai Ing-wen
  • China

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS