Thousands protest in Philippines against flood control fraud
Thousands marched in Manila demanding accountability in the Philippines' corruption scandal involving ghost flood-control projects.
-
Filipinos shout and raise placards during the anti-corruption protest at Luneta in Manila on November 30, 2025. (Social media/X)
Thousands gathered in Manila on Sunday to demand accountability in a growing corruption scandal tied to ghost flood-control projects, which have implicated lawmakers, government officials, and construction executives.
The outrage stems from multi-billion-dollar infrastructure funds allocated to flood-control projects that reportedly never materialized, even as typhoons have inundated towns across the archipelago nation of 116 million. Frustration has been building for months as entire communities have been submerged in floodwaters while public money appears to have vanished.
President Ferdinand Marcos, who brought the issue to public attention during a national address in July, has seen the scandal engulf allies and opponents alike. Among those implicated is his own cousin, a sitting congressman.
The first arrests in the case were announced days ago, involving eight members of the Department of Public Works and Highways. Authorities have vowed that "big fish are coming soon," as investigations continue. The scandal threatens to further erode public trust in the administration, with growing calls for President Marcos to take stronger action, even against those within his inner circle.
Protesters demand justice, cite lives lost to corruption
Protesters filled the capital’s EDSA thoroughfare, an iconic site linked to the 1986 People Power Revolution, chanting slogans such as "Put them in jail now!" before gathering at Luneta Park, near the presidential palace.
Mervin Toquero of the National Council of Churches in the Philippines expressed skepticism about the arrests so far. "It's impossible that that corruption happened without the knowledge of the higher officials," he told AFP. "(They) must be accountable too."
Read next: Thousands of protesters call for VP Duterte impeachment in Manila
Azon Tobiano, 68, who joined the protest with her granddaughter, voiced hope for real consequences: "I hope the president will be resolute to put in jail those accountable, whether it's his relatives or senators," she said.
Corruption scandals involving public funds are not new to the Philippines. Historically, high-ranking politicians convicted of graft have often avoided serious jail time, fueling public disillusionment.
Sunday’s protest remained peaceful despite a heavy police presence, with more than 17,000 officers deployed. A previous anti-corruption demonstration in September saw clashes and over 200 arrests after masked protesters scuffled with security forces.
As the Philippines' corruption scandal continues to unfold, pressure is mounting on the Marcos administration to show that accountability will not be selective, and that this case will not follow the familiar pattern of impunity.