Trump agrees to give financial records to US House Oversight Committee
Nearly two months after the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals issued a ruling in a case about a House Oversight Committee subpoena on an accounting firm for former US President Donald Trump's financial records, Trump's lawyers revealed that all parties involved have reached a settlement agreement.
The US House Committee on Oversight and Reform has reached an agreement with former President Donald Trump to obtain key financial documents that he refused to provide under a subpoena, according to a release on Thursday.
"After facing years of delay tactics, the Committee has now reached an agreement with the former President and his accounting firm, Mazars USA, to obtain critical documents," Committee Chair Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney said in the release.
"These documents will inform the Committee’s efforts to get to the bottom of former President Trump’s egregious conduct and ensure that future presidents do not abuse their position of power for personal gain."
Read more: Trump agrees he retained illegal papers subject to executive privilege
In April 2019, the committee issued a subpoena to Mazars for financial records as part of its investigation into Trump’s conflicts of interest, self-dealing, and foreign financial ties. Trump subsequently filed a lawsuit to prevent Mazars from complying with the subpoena.
On July 8, 2022, the Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit found that the committee was authorized to obtain certain financial records and communications from Trump and his business entities.
Under the agreement reached by the committee, Trump will not further appeal the DC Circuit’s ruling, and Mazars will comply with the subpoena.
These documents will inform the Committee’s efforts to get to the bottom of former President Trump’s egregious conduct and ensure that future presidents do not abuse their position of power for personal gain.”—Chair @RepMaloneyhttps://t.co/Nq7xyhEUlI— Oversight Committee (@OversightDems) September 1, 2022
So far, the inquiry into Trump's handling of sensitive government material has revealed damning and troubling new evidence. With each court filing, we learn more about the cache of documents the former President stole from the White House and the potential national security risks.
In a late filing on Tuesday, the Justice Department detailed how it had gathered evidence "that government materials were likely disguised and removed" from a storage area at Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort.
The report revealed that some of the newly discovered documents were so classified that even Justice Department attorneys and FBI counterintelligence personnel needed additional credentials to analyze them.
The Justice Department said, “Efforts were likely taken to obstruct the government’s investigation.” It produced a photograph of some of the classified documents found, as evidence. The filing said flatly that the government believes “obstructive conduct” has occurred.
Read more: Where do Republicans stand on Trump probe? 'Silent and split'