Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Turkey to invite Syrian President al-Assad 'at any moment': Erdogan

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 7 Jul 2024 16:37
3 Min Read

Addressing journalists, Erdogan mentioned that some leaders, including Russian President Vladimir Putin, have proposed a meeting with Assad in Turkey.

Listen
  • x
  • Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan waves prior the start the quarterfinal match between the Netherlands and Turkey at the Euro 2024 soccer tournament in Berlin, Germany, July 6, 2024. (AP)
    Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan waves prior the start of the quarterfinal match between the Netherlands and Turkey at the Euro 2024 soccer tournament in Berlin, Germany, July 6, 2024 (AP)

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday hinted at the possibility of inviting Syrian counterpart Bashar al-Assad to Turkey "at any moment," suggesting a potential thaw in relations following the severance of ties between Ankara and Damascus due to the 2011 war.

"We may send an invitation (to Assad) at any moment," Erdogan told reporters.

Turkey previously sought to overthrow President al-Assad's government when the war broke out in 2011. But after supporting several Western-backed groups, Ankara has recently redirected its efforts towards preventing what Erdogan referred to in 2019 as the creation of a "terror corridor" in northern Syria.

Erdogan has long said he could reconsider ties with al-Assad. 

Addressing journalists, Erdogan mentioned that some leaders, including Russian President Vladimir Putin, have proposed a meeting with Assad in Turkey.

"Now we have come to such a point that as soon as Bashar al-Assad takes a step towards improving relations with Turkey, we will show him the same approach," Erdogan said.

Read more: Turkey may extend invitation to Syria's Bashar al-Assad: Erdogan

Erdogan's remarks follow escalating tensions over the past week regarding Syrian refugees in Turkey.

On July 1st, 67 people were arrested by Turkish police after a mob spurred violence in the country's Syrian community after a Syrian man was accused of harassing a child.

Syrian businesses and properties were targeted in Kayseri by a group of men on Sunday night, with video footage posted on social media showcasing a grocery store set on fire.

"No matter who they are, setting streets and people's houses on fire is unacceptable," said Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, condemning the violent acts imposed on the Syrian community. 

The accused Syrian national, identified only by his initials as I.A., was arrested by police after he was caught by Turkish citizens, according to Interior Minister Ali Yerlikaya.

Yerlikaya said on X that the Syrian man was suspected of harassing a five-year Syrian girl, who turned out to be his relative. However, the interior minister also condemned the violence that broke out, stating the mob acted in an "illegal" manner "that does not suit our human values."

"Turkey is a state of law and order," he said. "Our security forces continue their fight against all crimes and criminals today, as they did yesterday."

According to UN data, Turkey currently hosts approximately 3.2 million Syrian refugees. The country has experienced periodic incidents of xenophobic violence in recent years, often sparked by rumors circulated on social media and messaging apps.

  • Syria
  • Turkey
  • Recep Tayyip Erdogan
  • Bashar al-Assad

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS