Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Turkey: No warships from non-regional countries in Black Sea

  • By Al Mayadeen Net
  • Source: Agencies
  • 25 Apr 2022 10:10
3 Min Read

According to the Turkish Defense Ministry, the first stage of Turkey's operation in Northern Iraq is completed.

  • x
  • Turkish soldiers conduct military drills near the Habur crossing gate between Turkey and Iraq. (AFP)
    Turkish soldiers conducting military drills near the Habur crossing gate between Turkey and Iraq (AFP)

Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar stated, on Monday, that the first phase of Turkey's military operation in northern Iraq has been completed.

Ankara announced last week the start of a new military offensive in northern Iraq, employing Special Forces and military aviation allegedly against the PKK. In response, the Iraqi presidential office stated that the operation of Turkish armed forces poses a threat to Iraq's national security.

"The operation ... launched in northern Iraq is based on a long stage of preparation, based on planning, based on a process of coordination with the necessary institutions, organizations, and forces ... therefore, only our first phase has been completed," Akar added.

The operation will continue until the threat on the border with Iraq has been eliminated, the Minister said.

No warships from non-regional countries in Black Sea

On its account, the Turkish Defense Ministry said in a statement that "National Defense Minister Hulusi Akar visited zero point in the north of the Iraqi border, then visited shop owners in [the Turkish town of] Sirnak and met with citizens. Chief of the General Staff [of the Turkish armed forces] General Yasar Guler and Commander of the land forces were also present."

Elsewhere in his remarks, Akar added that Turkey is attempting to keep its NATO allies out of the Black Sea, and there are currently no warships from outside the region.

Commenting on whether there are warships of non-coastal countries in the Black Sea at the moment, Akar said, "No, no."

"Let's not give rise to misunderstandings or actions that could be perceived as a provocation. We are saying that whatever intentions you may have, the other side will see it as a provocation," the Turkish Defense Minister added.

It is worth mentioning that the PKK is a Kurdish militant political organization and armed guerrilla movement that has been fighting Ankara since 1984 in a war that has claimed more than 40,000 lives. Turkey has conducted numerous military operations against the PKK, which is based in northern Iraq.

The PKK and Turkey signed a ceasefire agreement in 2013, but it collapsed just two years later over several terrorist attacks which Ankara blamed on the PKK.

The Turkish armed forces have been seeking to destroy PKK military bases located in the northern part of Iraq, completely disregarding the sovereignty of the latter. 

  • Turkey
  • Iraq
  • northern Iraq
  • Operation
  • Turkish Defense Minister
  • Hulusi Akar

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS