Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

UK seeks to ensure safety of 3 citizens detained in Afghanistan

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 2 Apr 2023 16:45
3 Min Read

The UK government maintains its decision not to negotiate with terrorists, however, since the Taliban is not designated as a terrorist organization in Afghanistan, this could be a loophole for establishing communications.

  • x
  • UK national Miles Routledge in Afghanistan during his
    UK national Miles Routledge in Afghanistan during his "adventure" trip while the Taliban took over the country (Social media)

London has sought to ensure the safety of three UK citizens that are being held in custody by the Taliban government in Afghanistan, the BBC reported on Sunday.    

Two of the detainees, Kevin Cornwell, 53 years old, and a second unnamed UK national, were detained earlier in January. Cornwell, at the time, was accused of illegal possession of weapons. Cornwell's family, on the other hand, said he had a license to carry.

"If there are risks to people's safety if they're a British citizen abroad, then the UK government is going to do whatever it takes to ensure that they're safe," UK Interior Minister Suella Braverman told Sky News.    

Miles Routledge, 23-year-old, the third UK national detained in Afghanistan, was taken into custody, alongside two Polish citizens on March 2, 2023, for being dubbed "danger tourist," according to the Telegraph which cited a senior European diplomatic source.    

According to the article, Routledge was already in Afghanistan in 2021, when the Taliban seized control of Kabul. 

The article also stated that at the time, he was able to board a UK military plane carrying refugees from the Taliban and leave the nation.

The UK government retains the policy of "not negotiating with terrorists", but, the Taliban are not designated as a terrorist organization in Afghanistan, which made communications between London and Kabul permissible, UK media reported.

9,000+ Afghan refugees still stranded in UK two years after withdrawal

The UK has carried out its largest evacuation mission since the 1940s after it pulled out from Afghanistan thousands of Afghan nationals who served in the British army and other governmental institutions, Turkish news outlet Anadolu Agency reported earlier in January.

The Afghan citizens were evacuated along with their families, the report noted.

The media outlet added that out of the 21,000 evacuees, almost half of them were placed in hotels while the rest were provided with accommodations.

According to the Home Department data, 9,242 refugees are staying in 63 hotels across the United Kingdom, almost half of which are children.

During the UK's withdrawal from Afghanistan, 18,000 people, including over 6,000 British citizens, were evacuated two weeks after the Taliban took over.

However, several thousands of individuals that were left behind after the evacuation mission ended continued to leave the Asian country and applied for the Afghan Relocations and Assistance Policy (ARAP) or the Afghan Citizen's Resettlement Scheme (ACRS).

The United Kingdom deployed 600 troops to Afghanistan to secure the evacuation of its nationals and embassy staff.

"Some made it to the UK on their own and applied to one of those schemes, while others submitted their applications through British diplomatic missions in neighboring nations," AA added.

Read more: Moscow expects UK probe into Afghanistan crimes find those responsible

  • Afghanistan
  • UK troops
  • UK forces in Afghanistan
  • UK

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS