Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land
Sheikh Qassem: People of Might Battle was a confrontation by a modest force, incomparable to the enemy's strength, but it was noble in spirit, brimming with courage, resolve, and unwavering faith in victory
Sheikh Qassem: Today, Lebanon is under an Israeli aerial occupation

Ukraine bans dual citizens to leave country amid forced conscription

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: News websites
  • 6 Jun 2024 16:22
3 Min Read

A new government decree requires those concerned to register for draft within 30 days.

Listen
  • x
  • Ukrainian soldiers prepare to fire 120mm mortar towards Russian position on the front line at undisclosed location in Donetsk region, Monday, June 4, 2024 (Ukrainian 24 Mechanised brigade/AP)
    Ukrainian soldiers prepare to fire 120mm mortar towards Russian position on the front line at an undisclosed location in Donetsk, Monday, June 4, 2024 (Ukrainian 24 Mechanized brigade/AP)

A Ukrainian border guard official revealed that Ukrainians with dual citizenship are now banned from leaving the country, as they are also no longer exempt from the military draft under a new mobilization law.

Border service spokesperson Andrey Demchenko told state TV on Tuesday, "We are not letting this category of citizens through now," announcing that a new government decree requires those concerned in the matter to register for draft within 30 days.

Previously, dual nationals and Ukrainians living abroad under a residence permit were exempted from military service.

Earlier this month, Ukraine Defense Ministry spokesperson Dmitry Lazutkin stated that the Ukrainian society must be prepared to make sacrifices and relinquish their peaceful lives to overcome the threat posed by Russia.

Kiev is revamping its military conscription system to increase the number of soldiers amid setbacks in the ongoing war with Russia.

Read next: Ukraine to exempt clowns from mobilization for 'critical importance'

"Globally speaking, starting on May 18, when the mobilization law comes into force, first of all, the approach to this war will change," Lazutkin said as quoted by Espresso TV.

Drafting prisoners to maintain frontlines

The Ukrainian government's desperation has led to the drafting of convicts. Ukraine started drafting convicted prisoners to serve in the armed forces as it struggles to maintain frontlines three years into the war after suffering significant losses among its forces, especially with the newly launched Russian offensive late last month, which has resulted so far in Kiev losing significant territorial grounds, The New York Times reported on May 24.

Since the outbreak of hostilities with Russia in February 2022, Ukraine has been in dire need of replacing nearly half a million casualties, as estimated by Moscow. Russian Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu stated, on March 20, that Ukraine has lost 71,000 men and 11,000 units in 2024 alone.

Thousands had fled across the border into EU member Romania to escape being drafted.

They are "kids who never fought in their lives, scared to go to the battlefront", Dan Benga, head of the Maramures Mountain Rescue, told AFP on May 27.

"Many of them say that they'd rather come and die on the mountain than die in the war." As Ukraine's grip on the war situation weakened, it reduced the minimum mobilization age from 27 to 25.

The new mobilization age has pushed Ukrainians to flee to Romania: almost 2,500 in the first four months of 2024, according to Romanian border police, which is twice as many as in the same period last year.

  • romania
  • Ukraine crisis
  • Draft
  • war in Ukraine
  • mobilization
  • Ukraine
Russia & NATO

Russia & NATO

As the Draconian Western-led sanctions on Russia exacerbate the economic crisis worldwide, and as Russian troops gain more ground despite the influx of military aid into Ukraine, exposing US direct involvement in bio-labs spread across Eastern Europe and the insurgence of neo-Nazi groups… How will things unfold?

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
A boy tries to stand near missiles displayed in the National Aerospace Park of the Revolutionary Guard, just outside Tehran, Iran, Thursday, Nov. 13, 2025 (AP)

Key Israeli sites destroyed, nuclear docs moved to Tehran: Minister

  • Politics
  • 22 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
National Guard are seen after reports of two National Guard soldiers shot near the White House in Washington, Wednesday, November 26, 2025. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
Politics

NG shooting suspect belonged to CIA 'Zero Units' in Afghanistan

This satellite image taken by Airbus DS shows objects on the ground at the Saudi Maternity Hospital in el-Fasher, Sudan (AP)
Politics

Inside the RSF’s brutal campaign against El Fasher’s healthcare

Lebanon urges UN action as 'Israel' builds new walls inside its border
Politics

Lebanon files UN complaint over Israeli concrete walls inside border

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation
Politics

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS