Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land
Sheikh Qassem: People of Might Battle was a confrontation by a modest force, incomparable to the enemy's strength, but it was noble in spirit, brimming with courage, resolve, and unwavering faith in victory
Sheikh Qassem: Today, Lebanon is under an Israeli aerial occupation
Sheikh Qassem: The project of "Israel" came crashing into the defenses of the People of Might Battle

Ukraine lost around 85% of its initial mobilized force: Field general

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 16 Sep 2023 17:24
  • 45 Shares
3 Min Read

A Ukrainian combat general says of each 100 individuals conscripted last year only 10-20 remain while others are either dead or disabled.

  • x
  • Ukraine lost around 85% of its initial mobilized force: Field general
    Ukrainian soldiers adjust a national flag atop a personnel armored carrier on a road near Lyman in the Donetsk region on October 4, 2022 (AP)

Almost nine out of every ten Ukrainian draftees who enlisted in the army a year ago have either been killed or injured in combat, Ukrainian media reported on Friday citing a senior conscription officer in the Poltava Region.

Lt. Colonel Vitaly Berezhny, who is currently serving as the acting head of the territorial center for recruitment and social support, made this admission during a Poltava City Council meeting.

Sounding the alarm, Berezhny told meeting participants that "out of the 100 individuals who joined the units last fall, only 10-20 of them remain, the rest are dead, wounded or disabled." Going from this statistic, he declared that the military was in urgent need of reinforcements.

Read more: US admits Kiev suffered 'significant' losses in counteroffensive

He acknowledged that local authorities are facing significant challenges in their conscription efforts, having only achieved 13 percent of the mobilization plan. This places the Poltava at the bottom of the region's rankings.

To address the shortage of manpower, the officer proposed the "establish the presence of conscripts." He further stated that the region had intentions to establish a substantial mechanized brigade and appealed to local deputies to actively support this endeavor.

Following the start of the war with Russia in February 2022, Kiev implemented a general mobilization, barring most men between the ages of 18 and 60 from leaving the country. This measure was initially thought to suffice in meeting the country's military manpower needs.

Former Ukrainian Defense Minister Alexei Reznikov revealed last month that Kiev had not yet fully executed its existing mobilization plan, indicating that there was no necessity for another conscription effort.

Read more: CIA informs Blinken of Ukraine counteroffensive failure: Hersh

Nevertheless, at the beginning of this month, a significant policy shift occurred when the Ukrainian Defense Ministry issued a decree allowing the conscription of individuals with severe medical conditions, including hepatitis, asymptomatic HIV, and clinically managed tuberculosis.

This unexpected change in approach signaled a transformation in Kiev's strategy for bolstering its military capabilities.

Simultaneously, the country's authorities initiated a comprehensive anti-corruption campaign within the nation's conscription framework. In recent developments, President Volodymyr Zelensky took resolute measures by terminating the appointments of all regional military conscription officials.

Berezhny's recognition coincides with Ukraine's ongoing counteroffensive, which has extended for over three months but has encountered difficulty in achieving substantial territorial gains despite full Western backing.

Read more: Pentagon blames Russian e-warfare for failed Ukraine counteroffensive

In recent days, Russian President Vladimir Putin estimated Ukraine's military casualties to exceed 71,000 personnel. Additionally, he proposed that Kiev might consider engaging in negotiations with Moscow once its resources for confronting Russian defenses become critically depleted. Putin's assessment emphasized that Ukraine would primarily seek talks to rehabilitate its weakened military capabilities.

  • Europe
  • Russia
  • war in Ukraine
  • Ukraine

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
A boy tries to stand near missiles displayed in the National Aerospace Park of the Revolutionary Guard, just outside Tehran, Iran, Thursday, Nov. 13, 2025 (AP)

Key Israeli sites destroyed, nuclear docs moved to Tehran: Minister

  • Politics
  • 22 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
National Guard are seen after reports of two National Guard soldiers shot near the White House in Washington, Wednesday, November 26, 2025. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
Politics

NG shooting suspect belonged to CIA 'Zero Units' in Afghanistan

This satellite image taken by Airbus DS shows objects on the ground at the Saudi Maternity Hospital in el-Fasher, Sudan (AP)
Politics

Inside the RSF’s brutal campaign against El Fasher’s healthcare

Lebanon urges UN action as 'Israel' builds new walls inside its border
Politics

Lebanon files UN complaint over Israeli concrete walls inside border

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation
Politics

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS