Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

UN mission in Nagorno-Karabakh for first time in 30 years

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 1 Oct 2023 16:23
3 Min Read

Almost 100,417 out of 120,000 people who lived in Nagorno-Karabakh before the recent escalation last week have fled to Armenia.

  • x
  • Nagorno-Karabakh
    Ethnic Armenians from Nagorno-Karabakh drive their cars on the road from Nagorno-Karabakh to Armenia's Goris in Syunik region, Armenia, Friday, Sept. 29, 2023 (AP/Vasily Krestyaninov)

Members of the UN mission on Sunday embarked on a journey across the Aghdam road, heading toward Nagorno-Karabakh's capital, Stepanakert, also referred to as Khankendi, Azerbaijani Press Agency (APA) reported. This marks the first time such a mission has headed to that region in three decades.

The UN mission comprises representatives from various UN agencies and intends to acquaint itself with the region's current situation while evaluating the humanitarian needs of the local population.

Azerbaijani state-run media shows a UN monitoring mission moving through Aghdam towards Stepanakert this morning.

The vast majority of Armenians in Nagorno-Karabakh have fled at this point. pic.twitter.com/Fa6oUeEBRf

— Lindsey Snell (@LindseySnell) October 1, 2023

Almost 100,417 out of 120,000 people who lived in Nagorno-Karabakh before the recent escalation last week have fled to Armenia, said Armenian government spokeswoman Nazeli Baghdasaryan on Saturday. 

Baghdasaryan told a press briefing that "as of this moment, 100,417 people have arrived in Armenia from Nagorno-Karabakh, 21,043 vehicles have crossed the Hakari Bridge [in Lachin corridor]."

Moreover, she added that the Armenian authorities already registered 81,139 people and allocated temporary housing for 32,200 people.

The mass departure of Nagorno-Karabakh's predominantly Armenian population began last week, shortly after Azerbaijan initiated what it termed "local-level anti-terrorist operations" in the region on September 19.

Under the mediation of Russian peacekeepers, Nagorno-Karabakh's authorities agreed to disarm and surrender all their weaponry to Baku the following day. Notably, Armenia was not a party to these negotiations.

The Azerbaijani government committed to facilitating the "integration" of Nagorno-Karabakh Armenians who chose to remain in the region, calling on them not to leave, following the mass displacement. 

Read more: Azerbaijan MoD: Soldier killed by sniper near Armenia border

On Saturday, Armenia’s Ambassador to the UK, Varuzhan Nersesyan, said it is "too late" to prevent the Nagorno-Karabakh exodus of ethnic Armenians but warned that Azerbaijan could launch an invasion of Armenia if the West does nothing to respond to the events resulting in the forced displacement of Armenians in what is now Azeri-controlled territories.

Nersesyan also noted that firm security guarantees will likely not be enough to offer the remaining ethnic Armenians protection and avert a possible future war.

In an interview for The Telegraph, the Ambassador noted that "now that they see the international community’s reaction is a soft one… it’s not excluded that they may be tempted to carry out another attack on the Republic of Armenia."

“It is a serious situation and here the international community has a preventive and preemptive role to play, not to allow any country that is becoming a bully in international relations to threaten neighboring countries and to present unfounded territorial claims,” he added. 

  • Azerbaijan
  • United Nations
  • Armenia
  • UN mission
  • Nagorno-Karabakh

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS