Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

US cannot be trusted over long-range weapon ban on Ukraine: Russia

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: News websites
  • 23 Aug 2024 14:33
4 Min Read

Russia's ambassador to the US Anatoly Antonov describes Joe Biden's administration as unpredictable, implying the US ban on long-range weapons against Ukraine may be lifted.

Listen
  • x
  • Russian Ambassador to the United States Anatoly Antonov speaks about US-Russian relations during a discussion at the Henry L. Stimson Center on March 4, 2019. (AFP)
    Russian Ambassador to the United States Anatoly Antonov speaks about US-Russian relations during a discussion at the Henry L. Stimson Center on March 4, 2019. (AFP)

Washington's claims of banning Ukraine from using US-supplied long-range weapons for deep strikes into Russian territory cannot be trusted, Moscow's ambassador to the US Anatoly Antonov said.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky resumed calls with the US to allow Kiev's troops to use long-range weapons during its ongoing incursion in the Kursk Region.

However, last week, the Pentagon reiterated its stance of preventing the former Soviet nation from using the US-supplied ATACMS missiles, which have a range of up to 300km, for strikes inside Russian territory. 

US 'preparing ground to remove restrictions'

US officials “seem to be constantly teasing us by saying that today it is allegedly not allowed to use long-range systems to strike at Russian territory," Antonov told journalists on Friday, adding that "in reality, they are essentially preparing the ground to simply remove all existing restrictions, at a certain point."

The Russian envoy based his judgment on the US' previous support of Kiev during its war with Moscow, expressing his certainty to TASS that Ukraine will “fight with US-made [long-range] weapons against us,” adding “Where exactly will it happen? We cannot say or foretell."

The ambassador described US President Joe Biden's administration as becoming unpredictable, highlighting, “There is no guarantee that the whole world will not change tomorrow when you and I wake up. How the Americans will behave in this situation is very hard to tell." 

Antonov insisted that as a result, Russia must “act decisively, increasing our military-industrial potential, because only our army and navy will protect our country."

Antonov rejects US claims on Kursk incursion

The ambassador appeared on Russia's Channel One on Thursday, rejecting claims by US officials that they were unaware of Ukraine's Kursk Region incursion. 

“I am firmly convinced that in Kiev they do nothing without the go-ahead from their masters… They wouldn’t have dared to move a finger… in our direction without consent from Washington,” he said.

Despite the Ukrainian forces' advancement into Russian territory, Antonov insisted that “no one has any doubts that they will be destroyed, not pushed back, but destroyed.” 

His statement was backed by the Russian Defense Ministry's report shared on Thursday, revealing that more than 4,700 Ukrainian troops and hundreds of military equipment have been lost since the beginning of the incursion on August 6.

Ukrainian offensive stopped across Kursk

Ukrainian forces’ attempts to advance have been halted across the entirety of Russia's Kursk region, with their key resources eliminated, confirmed Apti Alaudinov, commander of the Akhmat special forces, adding that Russian troops were now focusing on clearing settlements.

Ukraine launched a large-scale surprise offensive into the Kursk region on August 6.

The commander indicated that the destruction of major Ukrainian resources, including forward echelons, "inflicted very heavy damage on the enemy. They lost a lot of equipment, tanks, armored vehicles and a lot of infantry."

"I think at the moment, we no longer have to worry that the enemy, no matter how many more resources he has, could pass through the area where we're situated," he affirmed.

Alaudinov also emphasized that the Ukrainian forces were stopped in an unfavorable position and have now begun entrenching themselves.

The commander revealed the involvement of a huge number of foreign mercenaries, including servicemen from NATO countries, in the Kursk operation.

According to Alaudinov, the Kursk operation was orchestrated by NATO powers to divert Russian attention and impede progress in other areas, accompanied by war crimes committed by Ukrainian forces.

In an earlier interview with a Chinese war correspondent, Alaudinov estimated that fighting in the Kursk region and the broader special military operation in Ukraine could conclude within the next two to three months.

On Monday, he reported receiving photographic evidence of Russian civilians being "shot point-blank, in the head, in the back of the head," vowing that these acts would be avenged. 

  • United States
  • Russia
  • Ukraine
  • long-range missiles
  • long-range weapons
  • US
  • Biden administration
  • Joe Biden
  • Anatoly Antonov
  • Volodymyr Zelensky
Russia & NATO

Russia & NATO

As the Draconian Western-led sanctions on Russia exacerbate the economic crisis worldwide, and as Russian troops gain more ground despite the influx of military aid into Ukraine, exposing US direct involvement in bio-labs spread across Eastern Europe and the insurgence of neo-Nazi groups… How will things unfold?

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS