US halted aid to Kiev without consulting NATO: Polish MFA
After the US decided to halt military aid to Kiev, the spokesperson for the Polish Foreign Ministry condemned the move, stating that the US failed to consult with NATO first.
-
Polish Foreign Ministry spokesman Pawel Wronsk, undated. (Social Media)
The United States has decided to halt military assistance to Ukraine without consulting with NATO or with the Ramstein group, Polish Foreign Ministry spokesperson Pawel Wronski said on Tuesday.
"According to the Foreign Ministry, this is a very important decision and the situation is very serious ... The decision was made without discussion or consultation with either NATO or the Ramstein group, which is engaged in supporting Ukraine," the spokesperson told reporters when commenting on the reported suspension of US aid to Ukraine.
Washington's decision will be reviewed by the Polish Council of Ministers now in session, Wronski said, adding that Warsaw continues to stand by Ukraine.
Earlier on Monday, United States President Donald Trump ordered a pause on military aid to Ukraine, including shipments in transit areas in Poland, a senior Defense Department official told Bloomberg.
The pause will take effect until the Trump administration determines that Ukrainian leaders "demonstrate a good-faith commitment to peace," the agency reported, citing the US official.
All US military equipment not currently in Ukraine would be paused, including shipments of weapons and equipment in transit areas in Poland.
At least 30% of the weapons used by the Ukrainian Armed Forces are supplied by the US, which has given Kiev around $69 billion in military aid between the start of 2022 and the end of 2024.
US terminates USAID program for Kiev
On a similar note, the US State Department halted a major USAID program worth hundreds of millions of dollars intended to help rebuild Ukraine’s energy grid, NBC News reported last month on February 28, citing two agency officials.
The decision comes amid rising tensions between Washington and Kiev following a failed high-level meeting at the White House.
This came after discussions between Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and Trump over a potential peace deal ended abruptly after a dispute in the Oval Office. Senior Trump administration officials reportedly asked the Ukrainian delegation to leave and canceled a planned joint press conference.
This move, according to a USAID official, "significantly undercuts this administration’s abilities to negotiate on the ceasefire, and it’d signal to Russia that we don’t care about Ukraine or our past investments."