Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Turkiye believes that the Turkish-backed Syrian National Army (SNA) forces will "liberate" areas occupied by the Kurdish PKK/YPG militants in northern Syria: Turkish Defense Ministry official to Reuters
There is no ceasefire deal between Turkey and the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in northern Syria, contrary to a US announcement on the issue: Turkish Defense Ministry official to Reuters
Israeli media: Some of the targets attacked in Yemen are about 2,000 km away from "Israel"
Israeli media: The operation codenamed White City was planned in response to more than 200 missiles and more than 170 drones launched from Yemen
Israeli media: Dozens of Air Force warplanes attacked strategic targets in Yemen at dawn on Thursday, specifically in Hodeidah, and for the first time, in the suburbs of the capital, Sanaa
Yemeni Armed Forces Spokesperson Brigadier General Yahya Saree announces the YAF struck two sensitive Israeli military targets in occupied Yafa with two hypersonic ballistic missiles of the Palestine 2 type
Senior Yemeni source to Al Mayadeen: The American [administration] can never be innocent of any aggression against Yemen, and its latest attempt at evading responsibility for the recent aggression against civilian targets does not absolve it
Senior Yemeni source to Al Mayadeen: The enemy entity must comprehend the message and must approve of finding a quick and permanent solution, and Yemen will continue its operations
Senior Yemeni source to Al Mayadeen: The last operation had a devastating impact on the Israeli enemy, and they should read it carefully, being in a state of shock and awe from the results of the Yemeni military action
Senior Yemeni source to Al Mayadeen: Going after civilian targets will not stop Yemen from increasing support and breaking the arrogance of the haughty entity

US planted explosives that destroyed Nord Stream, claims Seymour Hersh

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 8 Feb 2023 20:21
  • 19 Shares
5 Min Read

Acclaimed investigative journalist and Pulitzer prize winner Seymour Hersh reports that the United States was behind the explosions that destroyed Nord Stream.

  • x
  • Damage to the Nord Stream pipelines sent gas bubbling to the surface of the Baltic Sea (Reuters)
    Damage to the Nord Stream pipelines sent gas bubbling to the surface of the Baltic Sea (Reuters)

An account holding the name of famed US investigative journalist and Pulitzer award winner Seymour Hersh said on Wednesday that US Navy divers planted explosives to destroy the Nord Stream pipelines last year.

"Last June, the Navy divers, operating under the cover of a widely publicized mid-summer NATO exercise known as BALTOPS 22, planted the remotely triggered explosives that, three months later, destroyed three of the four Nord Stream pipelines, according to a source with direct knowledge of the operational planning," Hersh wrote in his Substack newsletter.

The White House responded and dismissed the claims as "false and complete fiction."

Hersh later confirmed to the Russian news agency Sputnik that he authored the investigative report in question.

"Of course," Hersh told Sputnik when asked whether he authored the article published on a Substack account created shortly before its publication.

Flightradar24 data showed in late September that US military helicopters habitually and on numerous occasions circled for hours over the site of the Nord Stream pipeline incident near Bornholm Island.

A US Navy Sikorsky MH-60R Seahawk helicopter spent hours loitering over the location of the damaged natural gas pipelines in the Baltic Sea near Bornholm for several days in a row, September 1, 2, and 3, in particular.

According to the article, the United States decided to sabotage the pipelines after a lengthy debate that lasted more than nine months inside the US national security community.

"Last June, the Navy divers, operating under the cover of a widely publicized mid-summer NATO exercise known as BALTOPS 22, planted the remotely triggered explosives that, three months later, destroyed three of the four Nord Stream pipelines, according to a source with direct knowledge of the operational planning," the report read.

The revelation of the report prompted Moscow to ask the United States to comment, saying it had repeatedly said that the United States and NATO member states were involved in the explosions at Nord Stream, according to Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova.

"We have repeatedly stated Russia's position on the involvement of the United States and NATO, noting that they did not hide it, bragging to the whole world about their intention to destroy the civilian infrastructure through which Europe received Russian energy resources," Zakharova said.

"We have also regularly underscored the reluctance of Denmark, Germany, and Sweden to conduct an open investigation and the opposition to Russia's participation in it. And this is despite the fact that our country has suffered huge costs. Now, the White House should comment on all these facts," she added.

Related News

Biden advocates for stock trading ban for Congress members

US State Dept. official hits breaking point amid Gaza carnage, quits

The explosions occurred on September 26 at three of the four strings of Nord Stream 1 and 2 underwater pipelines, which are designed to transport a total of 110 billion cubic meters of Russian gas to Europe each year.

Separate investigations were launched by Germany, Denmark, and Sweden into the suspected sabotage, with German media reporting trust issues among the three EU nations. The Russian prosecutor's office announced an investigation into possible international terrorism.

However, Denmark and Sweden have barred Russia from investigating the attack. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said this exclusion highlighted the West's double standards.

Moreover, the German investigators probing the explosions that hit Russia's Nord Stream pipelines do not have any evidence at hand proving that Russia is behind the catastrophic blasts that took place in the Baltic Sea in September 2022, German Attorney General Peter Frank said on Saturday Die Welt reported.

Frank revealed that two research ships took water and soil samples, as well as samples from the remains of the pipelines, noting that the whole incident was "comprehensively documented". "We are currently evaluating all of this forensically."

Additionally, Russian Ambassador to Denmark Vladimir Barbin said Denmark does not provide any information on the progress and results of the investigation into the explosions at the Nord Stream gas pipelines, which raises concerns.

Barbin said that the Danish side is currently not providing any information on the progress and results of the investigation into gas pipeline sabotage.

With the anniversary of the Ukraine war nearing, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov was asked about Russia's plans to mark this date. The Foreign Minister noted that there were many things that need to be remembered and demonstrated that would depict how the US establishes its hegemony. 

"We are preparing a sort of a report of what happened this year, what we managed to discover, and this is not only the US military biological programs, from which they are trying to disown, they lie, as always, and not only the direct participation of the United States in the explosions at Nord Stream," Lavrov said.

Read next: Polish EU Parliament member on Nord Stream explosion: "Thank you, USA"

Lavrov said that the statements made by Victoria Nuland, the US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs, concerning the Nord Stream pipeline explosions show that Washington was complicit in the incident.

Nuland said that "the [US] administration is very gratified to know that Nord Stream 2" would no longer be operational.

Russian President Vladimir Putin blamed the situation on the West. "It’s clear to everyone who benefits from this. And the one who benefits from this is the one who did it," Putin stressed at the time.

  • United States
  • Maria Zakharova
  • Nato
  • Russia
  • Denmark
  • Baltic sea
  • Sweden
  • Nord Stream 2
  • Nord Stream
Russia & NATO

Russia & NATO

As the Draconian Western-led sanctions on Russia exacerbate the economic crisis worldwide, and as Russian troops gain more ground despite the influx of military aid into Ukraine, exposing US direct involvement in bio-labs spread across Eastern Europe and the insurgence of neo-Nazi groups… How will things unfold?

Most Read

Israeli strike causes huge explosion Syria's coastal city of Tartous

'Hiroshima in Tartus': Israeli strikes shake Tartus, martyrs reported

  • Politics
  • 16 Dec 2024
Al-Jolani

We are not looking to engage in conflict with 'Israel': Al-Sharaa

  • MENA
  • 14 Dec 2024
'Israel’s' support for Syrian opposition exposed

'Israel’s' support for Syrian opposition exposed

  • Opinion
  • 14 Dec 2024
Ahmad Al-Sharaa addresses a crowd at the Syrian capital's landmark Umayyad Mosque on December 8, 2024. (AFP)

Al-Sharaa: Syria won't be used as launchpad for attacks on 'Israel'

  • Politics
  • 16 Dec 2024

Coverage

All
Intellectual Uprising: Pro-Palestine students protests

Read Next

All
Knesset
Palestine

Knesset Caucus to propose bill preventing Palestinian state

US agencies
US & Canada

No security, safety threat from reported drone sightings: US agencies

Palestinians walk past the Al Nuseirat Bakery, destroyed in an Israeli airstrike, in Nusseirat refugee camp Gaza Strip, Wednesday, Oct. 18, 2023. (AP)
Politics

Palestinians quest for US refuge: A 'Kafkaesque nightmare' under Trump

Three Guantanamo prisoners repatriated, 27 remain in notorious jail
Politics

Three Guantanamo prisoners repatriated, 27 remain in notorious jail

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS