US still open to N. Korea talks despite 'provocations' - State Dep.
The United States says that the door for diplomacy with the DPRK is still open despite "nuclear provocations" from Pyongyang, following leader Kim's latest statements.
The United States is still committed to talks with North Korea despite Pyongyang's "provocations", citing leader Kim Jong Un's pledge to accelerate nuclear work, State Department spokesperson Ned Price said Tuesday.
"We do remain open to engaging in diplomacy and dialogue with the DPRK" on ending its nuclear program, Price said.
"But we also have an obligation to address the recent provocations that we've seen from the DPRK including its two recent ICBM launches," he told reporters.
Price also stressed that Kim's latest statement confirms Washington's assessment that Pyongyang constituted a "threat" to international peace and security and the global proliferation regime.
Overseeing a massive military parade that displayed DPRK military development, including ICBMs and other weapons, leader Kim Jong-Un said his country would expedite the development of its nuclear arsenal.
The military parade took place on Monday night and marked the founding anniversary of the DRPK People's Revolutionary Army, according to the DPRK's KCNA news agency.
The DPRK has recently increased weapons testing to increase its deterrence capabilities. "Only when one is equipped with the formidable striking capabilities, overwhelming military power that cannot be stopped by anyone, one can prevent a war, guarantee the security of the country and contain and put under control all threats and blackmails by the imperialists," Kim said late last month.
US and South Korean officials report there are signs of new construction taking place at the only known nuclear test site in North Korea, which suggests that nuclear weapons testing may be resumed.