Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

US-Taiwan navies held quiet Pacific drills in April: Reuters

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Reuters
  • 14 May 2024 11:55
4 Min Read

A source told Reuters that the drills did not officially exist and were dubbed "unplanned sea encounters," labeling them as a tacit agreement.

  • x
  • The US Navy, the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Halsey (DDG 97) conducts routine underway operations while transiting through the Taiwan Strait Wednesday, May 8, 2024. (AP)
    The US Navy, the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Halsey (DDG 97) conducts routine underway operations while transiting through the Taiwan Strait Wednesday, May 8, 2024. (AP)

Four people told Reuters that the US and Taiwan navies carried out joint drills in the Pacific in April that were off the books.

The United States has been reinforcing alliances with countries in the Asia-Pacific region, raising tensions as it amps up its rhetoric against China.

The sources, who asked to remain anonymous, told Reuters that these non-publicized drills happened last month in the Western Pacific, with one source revealing that "multiple military assets" were part of it. 

The drills were off the books and were dubbed "unplanned sea encounters," a second source told Reuters.

Revealing that these exercises were a tacit agreement, which the US and Taiwan claimed that they were due to a coincidental encounter, the second source explained "It's like I am dining in this restaurant and you also happen to be here," adding, "Then it looks like I am only sharing the same table with someone."

The days-long exercises, which comprised half a dozen navy ships from both countries, including frigates and supply and support vessels, were designed to practice "basic" operations like communications, refueling, and resupply, the source added. 

Read more: Biden signs into law $95bln aid bill to Ukraine, 'Israel', Taiwan

'Times of emergency' 

Even though these "unplanned encounters" between the two navies included majorly basic exercises, they were important to ensure that both militaries could work together in times of emergency, a third source told Reuters, adding that various tactical maneuvers like looking for underwater targets were also part of these exercises. 

In a statement to Reuters,  Taiwan's navy said that it "acts in concert with the US-promoted Code for Unplanned Encounters at Sea", CUES, to deal with unexpected scenarios at sea, and to minimize "interference" with each other. 

Without further explanation, it also said, "The Navy often makes contact with vessels of other countries and conducts encounter drills as needed."

About a decade ago, the CUES was launched under the guise of de-escalating tensions between militaries in the sea, setting out guidelines like safe speeds and distances, a common language of communication, and possible actions if a ship is disabled.

Reuters reported that the Pentagon refused to comment, and China's defense ministry did not immediately respond to comment. 

Read more: Chinese reunification with Taiwan to devastate US, Commerce Sec. says

These are not the only drills involving the US in the region 

Thousands of Filipino and American troops launched on April 22 joint military drills that went beyond the Philippines' territorial waters, in a first.

The annual drills – codenamed Balikatan, or "shoulder to shoulder" in Tagalog – were concentrated in the northern and western parts of the archipelago nation, near the potential flashpoints of the South China Sea and Taiwan.

China claims almost the entire waterway, a key route for international trade, and also considers Taiwan to be part of its territory.

The Chinese Army confirmed that China was conducting military "combat patrols" in the South China Sea on April 7 – the same day as joint drills by the Philippines, the United States, Japan, and Australia. 

Beijing's People's Liberation Army (PLA) Southern Theater Command said in a statement that it was organizing "joint naval and air combat patrols in the South China Sea", adding, "All military activities that mess up the situation in the South China Sea and create hotspots are under control."

On April 6, China's Coast Guard reported that it "handled" a situation earlier related to a disputed reef where several ships from the Philippines were engaged in "illegal" operations. 

Coastguard spokesperson Gan Yu said, "Under the guise of 'protecting fishing', Philippine government ships have illegally violated and provoked, organized media to deliberately incite and mislead, continuing to undermine stability in the South China Sea."

"We are telling the Philippines that any infringement tactics are in vain," Gan said, adding that China would "regularly enforce the law in waters under [its] jurisdiction."

  • United States
  • Taiwan
  • naval drill
  • China
  • US Navy
  • Pacific Ocean

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS