Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land

US warns Beijing of military response if China targets Philippine army

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 30 Apr 2023 15:24
  • 1 Shares
3 Min Read

The White House says that the US stands with its Philippine allies in upholding the 'rules-based' international maritime order."

  • x
  • US warns China of military response if Philippine army attacked
    Members of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the US military during Balikatan military exercises in 2022. (US Indo-Pacific Command)

Washington warned China of a US military response in case of an attack on the Philippine army, the White House said in a statement on Saturday,

Earlier this month, Manila announced that it will grant the US four more military bases on its soil, two of which will be close to Taiwan and one will be near the South China Sea, in an effort to offset alleged Chinese "increasing assertiveness toward Taiwan."

The 2014 Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement, known as EDCA, provided the US forces access to five bases in the Philippines, the number of which has now increased to nine. 

The new US bases in the Philippines could house US supplies and nuclear weapons in case of a future war, and during peacetime will host American arms and hardware.

The agreement has drawn criticism from Beijing, which recently claimed that it was a result of "US efforts to encircle and contain China through its military alliance with this country."

"The United States continues to track and monitor closely," the interactions between the Chinese navy and Philippine vessels in the South China Sea, the statement read.

The US stands with its, "Philippine allies in upholding the rules-based international maritime order."

China warned in early April that Washington was "endangering regional peace" through its military expansion in the Philippines.

"Out of self-interest, the US maintains a zero-sum mentality and continues to strengthen its military deployment in the region," Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Mao Ning said.

This month also saw the largest ever US-Philippine joint exercise where over 17,000 soldiers trained with the aim to challenge China's presence in the Asia-Pacific.

The United States "must not interfere in South China Sea disputes, still less harm China's territorial sovereignty, maritime rights and interests and security interests," Beijing responded then.

Vulnerability

In February, the World Workers newspaper argued that the US' new military bases serve as the outstanding link in securing the "first island chain" in the US military's enclosure of China. 

There is no reason to think that a joint-access military base extension will safeguard the Philippines given the lessons learned via the ongoing "US/NATO-instigated proxy war in Ukraine," which is being justified under the pretext of "protecting" Ukraine.

US activities in the region have threatened China, and as such the deployment of extra US military troops in Manila merely adds to the Philippines' vulnerability, according to the paper.

Read more: WW: US bases did not protect Ukraine, will they defend Philippines?

  • United States
  • China
  • Philippines

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS