Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Vanuatu’s new PM plans to reassess 2022 security pact with Australia

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: The Guardian
  • 13 Mar 2025 09:54
4 Min Read

Napat also called for the inclusion of a waiver-free travel agreement with Australia to facilitate easier movement between the two nations.

Listen
  • x
  • Vanuatu PM
    In this photo released by the Australian Department of Defense, Australians disembark from an aircraft at RAAF Base Amberley, Australia, after a flight home from Port Vila, Vanuatu, Wednesday, Dec. 18, 2024, following a powerful earthquake that struck just off the coast of Vanuatu in the South Pacific Ocean. (CPL Adam Abela/Australian Department of Defense via AP)

Vanuatu’s new Prime Minister Jotham Napat has expressed his government’s intent to reconsider a security agreement with Australia, citing the need for it to better align with national priorities, particularly climate change and travel mobility, The Guardian reported on Wednesday.

Napat, who assumed office in February, stated that the agreement, signed in 2022 but not yet ratified by either nation, must be revisited to ensure a “win-win” outcome. He told The Guardian that climate change, a critical security issue for Vanuatu, was "not reflected" in the current pact.

“It’s something that we would like to revisit and be able to discuss openly with the Australian government,” he said.

The security deal aims to enhance cooperation on disaster response, policing, cybersecurity, and border security. However, climate change is mentioned only once in the document, under a section on “Environment and Resource Security,” the news website noted.

Beyond climate considerations, Napat also called for the inclusion of a waiver-free travel agreement with Australia to facilitate easier movement between the two nations. He confirmed that he had already raised these concerns with Australian officials, including Deputy Prime Minister Richard Marles, and that they were receptive to revisiting the agreement.

In response, a spokesperson for Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said Canberra welcomes Vanuatu’s interest in strengthening bilateral ties and remains attentive to its priorities.

The Guardian suggested that Australia’s pursuit of security and policing agreements with Pacific nations—including Papua New Guinea, Tuvalu, Solomon Islands, and Fiji—is widely regarded as part of its broader strategy to counter China’s growing regional influence.

The report highlighted that Beijing has significantly expanded its diplomatic, economic, and security presence in the Pacific, most recently signing a comprehensive strategic partnership with the Cook Islands covering areas such as deep-sea mining, education, and transportation.

When asked about China’s involvement, Napat maintained that Vanuatu does not favor any particular development partner. “We treat Australia the same as China and the United States,” he said.

Mihai Sora, Director of the Pacific Islands Programme at the Lowy Institute, noted that Vanuatu is in a strong position amid the ongoing geopolitical competition.

“Vanuatu has a lot of leverage right now – Australia needs these sorts of security partnerships,” he said. “It’s looking to formalise existing activities and to elevate existing agreements wherever it can in a bid to build strategic insulation from China’s encroachment.”

According to Sora, China has been employing an “opportunistic approach” to security cooperation in the Pacific, offering support to individual leaders who express interest. “China is looking to elevate its political ties and then for that to open the way for closer security cooperation across the Pacific.”

The Guardian mentioned that Vanuatu’s efforts to renegotiate its security deal with Australia coincide with the United States scaling back some of its commitments to Pacific nations, particularly in economic development and climate action.

US President Donald Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Paris Climate Agreement is a matter of grave concern for Vanuatu, Napat said, given the existential threat climate change poses to the island nation.

“For us, it’s about our survival,” he underscored, adding that he hoped to persuade Trump to reconsider his stance “because everybody depends on the Paris agreement.”

Napat also noted that his government had not yet received confirmation on whether US aid to Vanuatu would be reduced but expressed hope that Washington would maintain its support.

Under then-President Joe Biden, the US significantly expanded its Pacific engagement by opening new diplomatic posts, negotiating a security deal with Papua New Guinea, and pledging increased economic assistance. However, Sora suggested that many of these initiatives might not continue under a Trump administration.

“What is likely to happen based on recent developments coming out of Washington is that the US will maintain a narrow security interest in the Pacific,” Sora indicated.

“But we’re not likely to see the United States live up to its commitments on engaging with economic development and climate change.”

Read more: Pacific islands accuse Australia of 'exporting climate destruction'

  • United States
  • Vanuatu
  • US
  • Jotham Napat
  • Australia
  • Donald Trump

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS