WH: Negotiations on dropping IRGC from “terrorism list” ongoing
Despite having the IRGC on the list, according to US Secretary, they have only grown stronger.
The White House commented on reports which say the US administration will remove Iran's Islamic Revolution Guard Corps from “its terror blacklist."
In a briefing on Friday, US Press Secretary Jen Psaki said negotiations are "ongoing".
“There’s an ongoing negotiation. I’m not going to get into specifics of it. But I would just note that the status quo where we stand has done nothing to make us safer in any regard. In fact, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard has only been strengthened," she stated.
Yesterday, Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett and Foreign Minister Yair Lapid released a joint statement urging the Biden administration not to remove the Islamic Revolution's Guard Corps (IRGC) off the United States' register of foreign "terrorist" organizations.
An Iranian official said last week that the IRGC's removal from the blacklist had been discussed as early as June.
It is worth mentioning that Axios was first to report on the Biden administration's consideration of such a move.
The US administration is currently considering the removal of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guard Corps from its "terror blacklist" in exchange for a commitment from Iran to "de-escalate" in the region, Axios reported on Wednesday.
It is worth mentioning that one of the remaining points in the Vienna Talks is the removal of IRGC's designation as a "terror group". The "terror" designation means that criminal penalties would be imposed on anyone doing business with any individual or entity connected to the IRGC.