White House defends Trump officials over Yemen strike chat leak
The White House defended Trump officials after a Signal chat about US strikes in Yemen was accidentally leaked to a journalist, prompting Democratic calls for accountability.
-
White House border czar walks into the West Wing at the White House, Tuesday, March 25, 2025, in Washington, US (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
The White House on Tuesday pushed back against scrutiny after senior officials from President Donald Trump's administration inadvertently exposed a group chat discussing military operations in Yemen.
The breach came to light after The Atlantic's editor-in-chief, Jeffrey Goldberg, revealed he had been mistakenly added on March 13 to a Signal chat titled "Houthi PC small group," which was coordinating US airstrikes in response to Yemeni operations in the Red Sea. Goldberg said Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth shared operational details in the chat, "including information about targets, weapons the US would be deploying, and attack sequencing." He described the incident as a "shockingly reckless" use of a messaging app.
The chat reportedly included Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, CIA Director John Ratcliffe, DNI Tulsi Gabbard, and other top officials. The National Security Council has confirmed the group thread's authenticity and said it is investigating how Goldberg's number was added.
In response to criticism, the White House issued a statement: "This is a coordinated effort to distract from the successful actions taken by President Trump and his administration to make America's enemies pay and keep Americans safe."
Democratic lawmakers have expressed outrage. Senator Mark Warner said, "The administration is playing fast and loose with our nation's most classified info, and it makes all Americans less safe." Representative Jim Himes vowed to raise the issue at an upcoming Intelligence Committee hearing.
While some Democrats have called for removals of security clearances or resignations, no disciplinary action has been announced. The White House has focused instead on the outcome of the military campaign.
Read more: Democrats demand answers over Signal chat security breach
Earlier today, the United Nations children's agency (UNICEF) reported that US attacks over the past three days on Yemen have killed eight children and displaced civilians, particularly in the coastal city of Hodeidah.
Peter Hawkins, UNICEF’s representative in Yemen, described his observations from Hodeidah, stating, "I was in Hodeidah over the past three days. I passed through the western plains, where people are out in the streets and along the roadsides, begging and seeking help. They have lost hope. I personally saw a heavily damaged building where three children were injured in the bombing yesterday."
"We've seen figures of 33% severe and acute malnutrition in certain areas. Especially on the west coast, in Hodeidah it is on the verge of a catastrophe...where thousands will die," Hawkins told reporters in Geneva via video link in Sanaa.