Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Hollywood slams Academy silence on assaulted Palestinian filmmaker

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 28 Mar 2025 23:16
  • 1 Shares
3 Min Read

Actors such as Joaquin Phoenix, Penelope Cruz, and Richard Gere expressed their dismay over the Academy's reluctance to speak out more forcefully.

Listen
  • x
  • APHamdan Ballal, Oscar-winning Palestinian co-director of "No Other Land," is checked at a hospital in Al Khalil, a day after being detained by the Israeli Occupation Fore following an attack by Jewish settlers in the village of Susiya in Masafer Yatta, on Tuesday, March 25, 2025. (AP Photo/Leo Correa)

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is under fire for its failure to defend No Other Land co-director Hamdan Ballal, a Palestinian filmmaker who was recently attacked by Israeli settlers and detained by Israeli soldiers in the occupied West Bank.

Ballal, whose documentary won Best Documentary at this year's Academy Awards, said he was assaulted earlier this week, held at gunpoint, and detained at a military center where soldiers referenced both his name and the word "Oscar" during shift changes. He was released on Tuesday after being held on accusations of "hurling rocks." Speaking to AFP, Ballal said the "brutality" of the encounter "made me feel it was because I won the Oscar." 

While several international film organizations promptly condemned the incident, the US-based Academy initially stayed silent. It later issued a letter to its members stating it condemned "harming or suppressing artists for their work or their viewpoints," but notably did not mention Ballal by name.

The vague nature of the statement triggered strong reactions within the film community. More than 600 Academy members responded with a signed letter criticizing the leadership's muted stance. "It is indefensible for an organization to recognize a film with an award in the first week of March, and then fail to defend its filmmakers just a few weeks later," they wrote.

The letter further stated, "We stand in condemnation of the brutal assault and unlawful detention of Oscar-winning Palestinian filmmaker Hamdan Ballal by settlers and Israeli forces in the West Bank." According to the signatories, the Academy's official response "fell far short of the sentiments this moment calls for."

Actors such as Joaquin Phoenix, Penelope Cruz, and Richard Gere joined the outcry, expressing their dismay over the Academy's reluctance to speak out more forcefully.

Read more: France condemns attack of Oscar-winning Palestinian director

On Friday, Deadline reported that the Academy's board held an emergency meeting to address the growing backlash, though no new public statement has been issued. 

Ballal's co-director, Israeli filmmaker Yuval Abraham, also voiced his disappointment. In a post on X, Abraham criticized the Academy's email to members, writing, "After our criticism, the academy's leaders sent out this email to members explaining their silence on Hamdan's assault: they need to respect 'unique viewpoints'."

after our criticism, the academy's leaders sent out this email to members explaining their silence on Hamdan's assault: they need to respect "unique viewpoints" pic.twitter.com/69mdp4aE9m

— Yuval Abraham יובל אברהם (@yuval_abraham) March 27, 2025

No Other Land, which documents the expulsion of Palestinians in Masafer Yatta—an area designated by "Israel" as a military zone in the 1980s—has yet to secure major US distribution despite winning the Oscar.

  • Hollywood
  • Oscars
  • Hamdan Ballal
  • No Other Land
  • Academy Awards
  • Yuval Abraham

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS