Quake in Turkey's Balikesir injures four, traps two under rubble
A 6.1-magnitude earthquake struck Turkey's Balikesir Province, injuring four people, collapsing buildings in Sindirgi, and leaving two trapped under rubble.
-
Balikesir's Sindirgi district was struck by a 6.1-magnitude earthquake (Agencies)
A powerful earthquake shook western Turkey on Sunday, leaving at least four people injured and causing significant damage in Balikesir Province.
According to the Turkish Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD), the tremor registered a magnitude of 6.1 and was felt in Istanbul and several other cities. The epicenter was located in Balikesir, where the town of Sindirgi suffered the worst destruction.
"In Sindirgi, at least 10 buildings collapsed, with several houses damaged. There were six people under the rubble of one of the houses, with four rescued. We are trying to reach two others," Mayor Serkan Sak told Turkish broadcaster Haberturk. He added that contact had been lost with multiple villages in the area.
Balıkesir'in Sındırgı ilçesinde saat 19.53'te meydana gelen 6,1 büyüklüÄŸündeki depremde bir bina yıkıldı https://t.co/8zfnhVIwyd pic.twitter.com/bjFxEaOcRj
— Haber Haber (@321haber) August 10, 2025
Turkish Health Minister Kemal Memisoglu confirmed on X that medical teams were attending to the four injured. "Currently, we continue to provide medical assistance to the four injured as a result of the earthquake in Balikesir, which was felt in a number of neighboring provinces. There is no threat to the lives of the victims," he said.
Emergency crews remain on site, working to rescue those still trapped and assess the extent of the damage.
Read more: Turkey commemorates 1st anniversary of devastating earthquake