Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land

Amazon fisherman confesses to killing missing pair

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 16 Jun 2022 14:10
  • 1 Shares
5 Min Read

Dom Phillips, 57, a veteran freelance writer, and Bruno Pereira, 41, a known Indigenous specialist, went missing on June 5th while sailing in Brazil's Javari Valley.

  • x
  • Amazon fisherman confesses to killing missing pair
    Dom Philips and Bruno Pereira

A federal investigator claimed a fisherman confessed to killing a British journalist and an Indigenous specialist in Brazil's remote Amazon and led authorities to a place where human remains were discovered, ending a 10-day hunt for the missing duo.

Dom Phillips, 57, a veteran freelance writer, and Bruno Pereira, 41, a known Indigenous specialist, went missing June 5 while sailing in Brazil's Javari Valley, bordering Peru, when Phillips was investigating a book.

A federal police investigator stated at a press conference in the Amazon city of Manaus on Tuesday night that the lead suspect confessed and explained what happened to Phillips and Pereira. According to investigator Eduardo Alexandre Fontes, Amarildo da Costa de Oliveira, 41, called Pelado, informed authorities he killed the men with a gun.

Pelado led authorities to the spot where police recovered the remains. Torres noted that "We would have no way of getting to that spot quickly without the confession."

Torres said the remains would be given to the proper families. Pelado's family had said that he claimed police tortured him to get a confession. 

Police stated that more are involved in the murder and that police knew the area where the missing men's boat was located, detailing how the perpetrators attempted to sink the boat, and that the engine had been recovered.

Military leaders joined the search for Phillips and Pereira a few days after their disappearance was reported, according to a news conference held at Brazil's federal police headquarters in Manaus.

President Jair Bolsonaro, a frequent adversary of media and Indigenous experts, has garnered criticism that the government didn’t get involved soon enough. Earlier on Wednesday, he chastised Phillips in an interview, claiming that neighbors in the neighborhood where he went missing didn't like him and that he should have been more cautious in the area.

Indigenous peoples in the area spearheaded the search for the two. In a statement issued Wednesday, UNIVAJA, an alliance of Javari Valley Indigenous peoples, grieved the loss of "two partners," noting that they had only received assistance and security from local authorities.

As federal police planned a press conference, Pereira's colleagues in Brasilia held a vigil outside the offices of the Brazilian government's Indigenous affairs department. Pereira was on leave from the agency at the time.

Phillips’ wife, Alessandra Sampaio, said the recovery of the remains can end the anguish of not knowing their whereabouts. In a statement, she said, "now we can bring them home and say goodbye with love."

Pereira, 41, and Phillips, 57, were last seen on their boat on a river at the entrance of Peru's and Colombia's Javari Valley Indigenous Territory. There have been violent clashes between fishermen, poachers, and government authorities in that region.

Things started moving Wednesday when federal investigators brought an unidentified suspect out on the river toward search parties looking for Phillips and Pereira. An AP photographer in Atalaia do Norte, the city closest to the search area, saw police arresting the suspect, who was dressed in a hood.

On Tuesday, police announced the arrest of a second suspect in the disappearance. He was identified as Oseney da Costa de Oliveira, 41, a fisherman and the brother of Pelado, who had previously been named as the primary suspect by police.

According to police detectives, de Oliveira has not admitted to any involvement in the crime, but they have proof against him. Individuals who were with Pereira and Phillips said that Pelado flashed a firearm at them the day before they vanished.

Official search teams focused their efforts on a location in the Itaquai river where volunteers from the Matis Indigenous community discovered a tarp from the boat used by the missing men on Saturday.

Authorities began searching the area on Sunday and discovered a backpack, laptop, and other personal items buried underneath. That evening, police said that they had recognized the things as belonging to both missing men, including Pereira's health card and clothing. Phillips claimed to own the bag.

Previously, police had reported detecting blood traces in Pelado's boat. Officers also discovered organic stuff in the river that seemed to be of human origin, which was submitted for study.

According to authorities, one of the primary lines of the police inquiry into the abduction has pointed to an international network that pays impoverished fishermen to fish illegally in the Javari Valley reserve, Brazil's second-largest Indigenous area.

Pereira, who formerly supervised the local office of the federal Indigenous agency known as FUNAI, participated in multiple anti-illegal fishing operations. In such cases, the fishing gear is usually confiscated or destroyed, while the fishermen are fined and briefly jailed. Only Indigenous peoples have the legal right to fish on their lands.

Atalaia do Norte’s Mayor Denis Paiva told reporters that the crime was motivated by a "personal feud over fishing inspection."

While some police, the mayor, and others in the region blame the disappearances on the "fish mafia," federal investigators have not ruled out alternative possibilities, such as narco-trafficking.

Torres, the federal cop, reaffirmed that argument when he said details of the investigation couldn't be shared but that they were investigating several possible lines.

  • indigenous people
  • Brazil
  • Amazon
  • Peru
  • Amazon Rainforest

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS