Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land
Sheikh Qassem: People of Might Battle was a confrontation by a modest force, incomparable to the enemy's strength, but it was noble in spirit, brimming with courage, resolve, and unwavering faith in victory
Sheikh Qassem: Today, Lebanon is under an Israeli aerial occupation
Sheikh Qassem: The project of "Israel" came crashing into the defenses of the People of Might Battle

Boat carrying around 100 migrants capsized off Tunisian port

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 25 May 2022 14:19
  • 1 Shares
3 Min Read

A migrant boat sank off the Tunisian coast, near the city of Sfax, on Wednesday, resulting in one person dying and over 70 missing.

  • x
  • Boat carrying around 100 migrants capsized off Tunisian port
    A boat drowning

A boat loaded with migrants heading from Libya to Europe sank off next to Tunisia, resulting in more than 70 people going missing in the Mediterranean, the coastguard said Wednesday.  

The boat which carried around 100 people capsized off the Tunisian port of Sfax. The coastguard and navy units were able to pull only 24 people out of the water, according to National Guard spokesman Houcem Eddine Jebabli.  

"According to preliminary results of the investigation, an inflatable boat left the coast of Zawara in Libya on Sunday night with around 100 people on board," Jebabli said, adding that so far only one body had been recovered.  

They were "of various African and Asian nationalities", he added.  

Migrants have taken Libya as a major launch area seeking to arrive in Europe, a migration route that has become the world's deadliest.  

Read more: Tunisian coastguards rescue 163 migrants heading to Europe

 

What prompted a spike in departures is the improving weather conditions. Since the start of the year, 6,340 migrants have been intercepted and taken back to Libya, as per figures the International Organization for Migration (IOM) published on Monday.  

Migrants who had set out for Europe from Libya were rescued by the Tunisian navy 10 days ago.

The navy said that they rescued 81 migrants sailing on a damaged boat that was boarded around six kilometers off Tunisia's northeastern coast.

According to human rights groups, those taken back usually face horrific abuses.  

At least 129 people died trying to cross and 459 went missing, the IOM said.  

Last year, the Tunisian Forum for Economic and Social Rights (FTDES) reported on 15,671 migrants who attempted to head to Italy from Tunisia, up from fewer than 13,000 in 2020.  

Nearly 2,000 went missing or sank in the Mediterranean in 2021, in comparison with 1,401 the year before, according to the IOM.

17,000+ dead or missing along Central Mediterranean route

The increase in deaths at sea came amid a surge in the number of crossings. A UNHCR report showed that 53,323 migrants arrived by boat in Italy last year - an 83% hike over 2020.

In addition, 23,042 arrived in the Canary Islands, nearly the same number as a year earlier, the report mentioned.

The report also noted a 61% increase in departures from Tunisia compared to 2020, while departures from Libya increased by 150%. They took the Central Mediterranean route, which is the world's deadliest. 

According to the International Organization for Migration, more than 17,000 people have died or gone missing along this route since 2014.

  • Migrant Crisis
  • Tunisia
  • migrants
  • Mediterranean Sea

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
A boy tries to stand near missiles displayed in the National Aerospace Park of the Revolutionary Guard, just outside Tehran, Iran, Thursday, Nov. 13, 2025 (AP)

Key Israeli sites destroyed, nuclear docs moved to Tehran: Minister

  • Politics
  • 22 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
National Guard are seen after reports of two National Guard soldiers shot near the White House in Washington, Wednesday, November 26, 2025. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
Politics

NG shooting suspect belonged to CIA 'Zero Units' in Afghanistan

This satellite image taken by Airbus DS shows objects on the ground at the Saudi Maternity Hospital in el-Fasher, Sudan (AP)
Politics

Inside the RSF’s brutal campaign against El Fasher’s healthcare

Lebanon urges UN action as 'Israel' builds new walls inside its border
Politics

Lebanon files UN complaint over Israeli concrete walls inside border

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation
Politics

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS