Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land
Sheikh Qassem: People of Might Battle was a confrontation by a modest force, incomparable to the enemy's strength, but it was noble in spirit, brimming with courage, resolve, and unwavering faith in victory
Sheikh Qassem: Today, Lebanon is under an Israeli aerial occupation
Sheikh Qassem: The project of "Israel" came crashing into the defenses of the People of Might Battle

More Beirut Port northern silos collapse

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 23 Aug 2022 17:46
3 Min Read

The rest of the northern part of the silos have collapsed, raising a large pillar of dust.

  • x
  • Northern Grain Silos Collapse in Blast-Torn Beirut – Witness
    A collapsed portion, right, lies on the ground of the silos that were damaged during the August 2020 massive explosion in the port, in Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Aug. 23, 2022 (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)

A new northern part of Beirut port's grain silos collapsed on Tuesday in a cloud of dust after a fire has been noticed burning inside for days, a witness told Sputnik. 
 
"The northern part of the granaries sloped on Monday night and completely collapsed today, raising a large pillar of dust," the witness said. 
 
Fermenting wheat was causing fires in the silos, which have been burning since early July, according to Lebanese Economy Minister Amin Salam. 

The southern block still stands next to the charred ruins.

The 48-meter-tall silos had withstood the impact of the massive explosion that shook Lebanon two years ago, shielding the western part of Beirut from the blast that took the lives of over 200 people, wounded more than 6,000, and badly damaged entire neighborhoods.

Experts had been warning for days that the silos could collapse imminently after recording unprecedented inclination rates.

Beirut port's grain silos partially collapsed end of July, just before the second-year anniversary of the disastrous port explosion. 

The Minister of Public Works and Transport in the Lebanese caretaker government, Ali Hamiyeh, said that two silos had collapsed from the northern side. The total number of grain silos is 40, and the minister said he expected most of the silos to collapse.

Several more grain silos damaged by the 2020 Beirut port explosion collapsed only days after the first two silos, as hundreds marched toward them to mark the second anniversary of the disaster.

It is worth noting that Hamiyeh said the silos structure building is no longer considered a crime scene as per a judicial decision, stressing, "We are determined to rebuild it."

The fires started to erupt in the northern part of the silos due to the fermentation of the remaining grain stocks, exacerbated by scorching weather temperatures, according to authorities.

Najib Mikati, Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister, had warned that the silos would soon fall.

He warned workers, civil defense members, and firefighters to keep their distance from the location while keeping the army on alert.

The silos hold a capacity of over 100,000 tons and have become a symbol of the Beirut explosion. 

In April, the Lebanese government ordered that the premises be demolished; however, it was suspended due to objections, especially from the families of the victims who demand turning the silos into a memorial site of the catastrophe. 

The authorities were not able to extract the 3,000 tons of wheat and corn that were stuck in the silos, since the move would probably accelerate the collapse. 

The ministries of environment and health have been warning the public to evacuate the port area and wear masks in case the silos collapse.

On August 4, which marked the second anniversary of the explosion, Hezbollah expressed once again its condolences to "the families of all martyrs, Christians, and Muslims, Lebanese and non-Lebanese," as well as the wounded and their families, most notably those who are still in hospitals, on the second anniversary of the tragic explosion at the port of Beirut.

In a statement, Hezbollah reaffirmed its stance, calling for a just investigation into the Beirut port blast which is based on legal principles and away from any political and sectarian bias.

  • Lebanon
  • Beirut
  • Beirut port explosion
  • Beirut blast

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
A boy tries to stand near missiles displayed in the National Aerospace Park of the Revolutionary Guard, just outside Tehran, Iran, Thursday, Nov. 13, 2025 (AP)

Key Israeli sites destroyed, nuclear docs moved to Tehran: Minister

  • Politics
  • 22 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
National Guard are seen after reports of two National Guard soldiers shot near the White House in Washington, Wednesday, November 26, 2025. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
Politics

NG shooting suspect belonged to CIA 'Zero Units' in Afghanistan

This satellite image taken by Airbus DS shows objects on the ground at the Saudi Maternity Hospital in el-Fasher, Sudan (AP)
Politics

Inside the RSF’s brutal campaign against El Fasher’s healthcare

Lebanon urges UN action as 'Israel' builds new walls inside its border
Politics

Lebanon files UN complaint over Israeli concrete walls inside border

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation
Politics

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS