Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al-Houthi: We find ourselves in the most sacred battle and the greatest position. We do not consider the sacrifices to be wasted losses; rather, we have given everything for the sake of this stance.
Al-Houthi: The Zionist scheme is undoubtedly a plot to enslave and exploit this nation. This is a fact, not an exaggeration.
Al-Houthi: Great sacrifice in the path of God only increases our steadfastness, determination, certainty, resilience, and cohesion.
Al-Houthi: The Zionist crime confirms the importance of Yemen's conscious and insightful position based on constants, values, and human ethics.
Al-Houthi: The Israeli enemy is a criminal who proves its brutality and monstrosity through all its criminal practices, void of any controls.
Al-Houthi: The Israeli enemy's record is one of terrible and horrific crimes, full of bloodshed against the Palestinian people and people in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, and Iran.
Al-Houthi: The crime of targeting ministers and civilian workers adds to the Israeli enemy's criminal record in the region.
Al-Houthi: All of the martyrs were ministers working in civilian fields.
Sayyed Abdul Malik al-Houthi: We extend our sincerest condolences to all the martyrs' families, their loved ones, their colleagues, and our dear people.
Al Mayadeen's correspondent: An Israeli drone targeted a residential apartment in the al-Natour Square in the Sheikh Radwan neighborhood of Gaza City

US-sunk WWII ship on which nearly 1,000 Australians died found

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 22 Apr 2023 09:23
  • 4 Shares
3 Min Read

The ship -- sunk on July 1, 1942, by a US submarine -- was found at a depth of more than four kilometers (2.5 miles).

  • x
  • WWII wreck
    The wreck of a World War II Japanese transport ship, the Montevideo Maru (Social media)

Deep-sea explorers announced on Saturday that they had located the wreck of a World War II Japanese transport ship, the Montevideo Maru, which was torpedoed off the Philippines killing nearly 1,000 Australians aboard.

The ship -- sunk on July 1, 1942, by a US submarine -- was found at a depth of more than four kilometers (2.5 miles), indicated the maritime archaeology group Silentworld Foundation, which organized the mission.

The sinking of the Montevideo Maru was Australia's worst-ever maritime disaster, killing an estimated 979 Australians, including at least 850 troops. 

Civilians from 13 other countries were also aboard, the foundation said, bringing the total number of prisoners of war killed to about 1,060.

They had been captured a few months earlier by Japanese forces in the fall of the coastal township of Rabaul in Papua New Guinea.

"At long last, the resting place of the lost souls of the Montevideo Maru has been found," Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese confirmed.

"Among the 1,060 prisoners on board were 850 Australian service members –- their lives cut short," Albanese said on social media.

At long last, the resting place of the lost souls of the Montevideo Maru has been found.

Among the 1,060 prisoners on board were 850 Australian service members – their lives cut short.

We hope today’s news brings a measure of comfort to loved ones who have kept a long vigil. pic.twitter.com/husOu6peUL

— Anthony Albanese (@AlboMP) April 21, 2023

Related News

China to showcase hypersonic weapons at WWII anniversary parade

2024 records highest number of global conflicts since WWII: The Times

After five years of planning, explorers began searching for the wreck on April 6 in the South China Sea northwest of the Philippines' main island of Luzon. 

They made a positive sighting just 12 days later using high-tech equipment, including an autonomous underwater vehicle equipped with sonar.

The foundation noted that the wreckage will remain undisturbed on the seabed, where it lies at a greater depth than the Titanic, out of respect for the families of those who perished. No artifacts or human remains are to be removed.

'Terrible chapter'

"The discovery of the Montevideo Maru closes a terrible chapter in Australian military and maritime history," said John Mullen, director of Silentworld, which conducted the hunt with Dutch deep sea survey firm Fugro along with help from the Australian military.

Australia's chief of army, Lieutenant General Simon Stuart, considered that finding the wreck had ended 81 years of uncertainty.

"A loss like this reaches down through the decades and reminds us all of the human cost of conflict," Stuart said.

The discovery of the shipwreck of the SS Montevideo Maru is remarkable.
Today we remember the loss of these Australians and all those aboard who came from many nations.
I hope this brings some closure to the families of the more than 900 Australians who perished onboard. pic.twitter.com/xEcPzFRTgy

— LTGEN Simon Stuart (@ChiefAusArmy) April 22, 2023

Others who were killed aboard the Montevideo Maru included 33 crew from the Norwegian freighter the Herstein and about 20 Japanese guards and crew, the foundation noted.

Read more: Australian who sold info to foreign spies facing charges

  • World War II
  • Montevideo Maru
  • WWII
  • Australia
  • Anthony Albanese

Most Read

Fierce resistance ambushes target IOF in Gaza Strip

Fierce resistance ambushes target IOF in al-Zaytoun, Gaza City

  • Politics
  • 30 Aug 2025
Tom Barrack's imperial tantrum in Beirut: When entitlement speaks (Photo by Mahdi Rtail)

Tom Barrack's imperial tantrum in Beirut: When entitlement speaks

  • Politics
  • 26 Aug 2025
Although it does seem likely they will launch some kind of operation in northern Gaza, one which will accelerate its mass murder of civilians, but will fail to achieve its stated objectives. (Al Mayadeen English; Illustrated by Batoul Chamas)

Here is why the Israeli occupation of Gaza won’t work

  • Opinion
  • 26 Aug 2025
A scene showing an al-Qassam Brigades fighter during an ambush on July 7, 2025, in a video released by the al-Qassam Brigades on August 26, 2025 (al-Qassam Brigades Military Media)

Al-Qassam reveals Beit Hanoun ambush targeting Israeli forces

  • Politics
  • 26 Aug 2025

Coverage

All
The Ummah's Martyrs

Read Next

All
'Gideon’s Chariots' Op. deemed a failure by Israeli military report
Palestine

'Gideon’s Chariots' Op. deemed a failure by Israeli military report

Smokes rise to the sky following an Israeli airstrike in the northern Gaza Strip as seen from southern occupied Palestine, Monday, Aug. 25, 2025. (AP)
Politics

US revives Gaza ethnic cleansing plans for 'gleaming tourism resorts'

Ansar Allah leader Sayyed Abdul Malik al-Houthi gives a speech on August 31, 2025 (Screengrab)
Politics

Israeli crimes prove brutality, Yemen undeterred: Sayyed Al-Houthi

Major General Abdolrahim Mousavi, Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces. (IRNA)
Politics

Iran's top general says air defenses must adapt to new threats

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS